Wednesday 26 April 2017

Tuesday 25th April 2017

21 months in, and time for some celebrating. Yes, in the words of Mr Churchill, this is not the beginning of the end, but might be the end of the beginning. Of the project. In light that offshore work finished some weeks ago, a hog roast was planned for the workers at Esbjerg, and it became clear I among the project management was the only one not also invited. That corrected, I said I would go.

One hundred and thirteen I had meetings planned in Arhus before and after the celebration, requiring me to drive 80 minutes each way from the hotel, but it would be worth it, and be back for meetings in late afternoon. Only those got cancelled, and in hindsight, I should have stayed in Esbjerg, allowing me to get two more hours work done, but in the end, couldn't be bothered, so with the arrangements as originally made, I would have the best part of three hours on the road, and in a 320 Beamer, it wouldn't be a hardship.

Celebrate, good times, go on! I am also given the luxury of a lay in bed, until half seven or eight if I want, but there is a trash truck outside the hotel just after five, so I am awake as it clanks and crashes its way along an alleyway below. I get up and have a shower, check the internet and decide to get some miles under my belt. So go down for breakfast, finding the breakfast room packed with teachers at the conference, all talking about teaching and stuff. But I find a table, get myself some fruit and a coffee before going out to the car and manoeuvre the beast out of the car park and onto the main road south.

Celebrate, good times, go on! Traffic is thick heading north, but with the rising sun to the east, and with plenty of horses under the bonnet, I motor down the motorway, just enjoying the drive. I would have put the radio on or something, but the car was set up to speak Spanish. I had no idea how most stuff worked, other than make it go and stop. So, in silence, I drive on, with only my inner monologue complaining about other drivers to lighten the trip. Traffic was so much lighter once I turned on the motorway to Esbjerg, through farmland and marshes.

Celebrate, good times, go on! I arrive at the harbour, get through security and drive to the offices. All are smiles and I am welcomed with hugs and handshakes. All very nice I have to say. Not much else to do, other than meet my old quality team, find out their current issues, and wait until the food was ready. We all make our way to the warehouse, where someone had set up two smokers, and a pig was being finished off, carved up ready for serving. There was also smoked chicken (a bugger to light) and long Danish sausages, as well as a salad bar and bottles of fizzy pop.

Celebrate, good times, go on! Speeches are made (in Danish) and then the technicians are allowed to get their food. The rest of us wait until they had all eaten, no need to worry as there was enough for just about everyone to have seconds and some thirds. It's all pretty much over, we are all smiles, just about. Some ends to sort out, but, the end is near.

And like that, we all have to go, so one final rounds of hand shaking and saying thanks for all the hard work, etc, etc.

I swap beers with the boss, then go to the car for the drive back. Rain had kept off all day, but now clouds were gathering, and it was mighty cold. On the way north, rain, then sleet and finally snow began to fall. Day became almost night, and the wipers worked hard to clear ice from the screen.

Incoming Blizard I get back to the hotel just before the afternoon rush hour, parking the car and going to my room, my top floor room giving me fine views over the city as the sun got low in the west, illuminating the underside of storm clouds, making them seem jet black. It felt like the end of the world was coming, but the weather held off for an hour until the clouds opened. Rain lashed down, and people down on the street far below ran for cover. I decided to eat in the hotel that night, so did some work, listened to the radio, and generally took this easy.

Down in the restaurant, I order steak (makes a change from a burger), and onion rings. But its a lonely evening, reading an old magazine as I wait for the food to come. When it does, its overcooked and tough as old leather, but eat it anyway, just glad to be able to go back to my room to watch the football.

Chelsea were playing Southampton, and was a much better game than it should have been, so I lay on my bed watching Chelsea run out 4-2 winners and all but guaranteeing them the title.

And that was my shot trip to Denmark over with, just a few hours sleep and I could begin the long trip home

No comments: