Monday 18 December 2017

Sunday 17th December 2017

We lay in bed until very nearly half seven. Oh my word, we slugabeds.

The cats had long since given up on us ever getting up, but in time, as dawn came creeping over the land, we stirred.

Cats fed, coffee made, and instead of watching football, and then grilling bacon, I grill bacon first, then settle down with Scully to watch the previous day's football. A day of surprises: West Ham win at Stoke 3-0, Palace win at Leicester and score their first away goals of the wason, Huddersfield win 4-1 at Watford. Amazing stuff.

Black and gold Outside it is cold. Very cold. There is a thick hoar frost, and the cats are stalking the hungry garden birds. I snap the scene as Mulder waits for some birds in the back garden.....

The bacon is wonderful, three layers of bacon intbetween two fresh white slices, and a fresh brew. Perfect.

By the time that is finished, Jools is out working in the garden, so I go to join her, but unbeknown to me, she finishes as I get get the tools from the shed, and so I think she had gone for a walk, but really was upstairs in her hobby room. I pick up leaves in the front garden, prune the acers and generally tidy up.

I am done by eleven, and thinking Jools is out walking, and she thinks I am still in the garden, we work away at our hobbies until one, by which time we are both hungry.

So I make dinner, some fresh crusty bread and preserves, and mid afternoon I cut thick slices of Christmas Cake for afternoon tea, and it is mighty, mighty good.

Three hundred and fifty one I wish I could say we did more stuff, but the rain came at just after one, and set in for the rest of the day. The brightness of morning gave way to a cloudy afternoon and in time an early dusk as the rain came down.

De Goudale Grand Cru Night came early, and on the radio the football blared out. I listened to it, well with one ear. At seven, I put more party food in to cook, and so we feast on finger food, which might not be healthy, is fun and quick to make. And takes our minds off the fact the morning is Monday.

We watch some TV, listen to some music and the weekend slips through our fingers.

Three working days to go until Christmas.

No comments: