Monday 25 December 2017

Sunday 24th December 2017

Christmas Eve.

I should have set the alarm and got up really, really early in order to go to the butcher. Doubly so as I had to sleep wrapped round the sleeping lump that is Scully. But against the odds, I went back to sleep and work at quarter to seven with Jools getting up.

Without a coffee we both get dressed, and after feeding the cats we go to the car to drive to Preston to collect the meat, steak, turkey and game pie from the butcher. We could have gone later, but the roads would have been busy, and anyway, once we were up, why not get it over with.

The roads were very quiet indeed, driving to the Duke of Yorks then on the up-ramp onto the Sandwich road. Not much else about either, so we cruised along. We have made the decision that in light of Mulder's plight, we would not be going to Mum's until the new year. In truth, I had not wanted to go anyway and made no plans with her for us to go. But now with Mulder's date at the vet's in Wednesday, we feel we would like to spend as much time with all the cats. So, Jools and I talk about that on the way, and how bloody dark it still is.

At the shop, we are the only customer, and Paul is still busy, labeling up the last of the stock. Everything is pre-booked here, so you just go, pick up what you ordered and pay. It is always such an uplifting experience there, how a bloke has made a thriving business in the marshes of east Kent, selling good quality meat, game and cheese. It was a good day when I discovered his shop.

I have ordered a turkey crown, salt beef, sausage meat, steak and a game pie. All great stuff, and more food than we need for a month or two. I leave Paul a bottle of the sloe port, and bid him Merry Christmas and we can return home, as I have also ordered bacon. Lots of bacon. And then I remember we have some cold sausage rolls in the fridge, they would be great with a fresh brew. So that's what we have once we are back at Chez Jelltex.

And after eating, I put the meat away, and put the beef into a pan of water, add a selection of spices and put it to boil, and then would simmer for three hours. Salt beef is one of the things you grow into, and is wonderful in bread with sme pickles. I used to turn my nose up at all cold cuts, but not now.

Three hundred and fifty eight Anyway, with the beef on to cook, and before eating, we both do a session on the cross trainer. Yes, I know, you thought we sold that years ago. Well, we both need to get active, so putting off starting is the biggest hurdle, I do 10 minutes, pathetic, but a start, and I had even charged the old i pod up in preparation. That done we have breakfast, then a shower and are ready for the day, which is mainly keeping an eye on the simmering salt beef and enjoying the wonderful smells it is producing.

At half eleven it is done, and while it cools so we can have some for lunch, I go to visit my old friend Gary, and drop off his card and present. And have a chat of course. Catching up on two months news and photographic shoots.

At one I go back home, driving along emptying roads, but still with BMW and Audi drivers that seem to think indicating is optional.

I arrive hone safe and sound, and go to check on Mulder. He had been asleep in his normal place. I stroke his head and he yawns, I see his tongue, and underneath a lump nearly as big as his tongue. Jools has found a way of feeding him, if his food is cut up in small enough pieces, he can cope and eat. She squirts water so he can drink too, ad in that way he is fine. And happy. Always happy.

I carve the salt beef, make sandwiches and a brew so we can sit down for lunch, and listen to the radio as the last hour of daylights ebbs away, and the preparation for Christmas is over for another year.

At some point we have a slice of Christmas cake and more brews. It is now dark outside, and on the other side of the world, it is already Christmas Day. I wish friends in Australia and New Zealand Merry Christmas via Facebook.

It is a quiet night at Chez Jelltex, music to be listened to, blogs to write and just relax. Relax until it is time to go to bed after watching some QI and drinking a wee glass of Vin Santo.

It is Christmas.

No comments: