Wednesday 24 January 2018

Tuesday 23rd January 2018

Just over a month on from the equinox, I am assured we have very nearly an hour extra daylight each and every day. It does mean the year is pressing on, even if each day we hardly notice it.

In other news, Mum is feeling better. We spoke on Sunday and she has lost the hoarseness in her voice, she sounded chipper, the opposite from what she was like the week before when I thought she had found something else I had thrown away, and thought do I give a fuck? In the end, she was just sick, so go figure. She still has not left the house since her return home on 6th December. But she is nearing the time. She has been given two weeks more free care, but the clock is running out of course, but it seems OK. Not much Jools and I could do about it anyway.

Tuesday was a grey and windy day, or was once it got light, and by that time we had both had a coffee, checked on world affairs and in a surprise move, I did a session on the cross trainer. And had a shower and shave, and was eating breakfast and a cuppa by five to eight. So much achieved already.

Walk to St Margaret's Bay I start the working day with a meeting, catch up on tasks to be done, and then on with the rest of the stuff.

Nearly a year ago I met a friend, Rob, in Kingsdown for lunch and a chat, and what with one thing and another, time slipped by, so when we swapped mails last week, it seemed a good time to suggest we meet up again. He said the White Horse Inn, but that would mean having to get in and back to/back from DOver, so I suggested the Coastguard down in the Bay. It has been some time since I was last there, and Rob agreed, so all was set.

At twelve I put on my boots, waterproof coat and hat to set off to walk down and up Station Road, through the village to The Bay.

Walk to St Margaret's Bay We have lived in St Maggies for nine years now, and we like it, but as you get nearer the sea, it does get a bit up itself.

No parking
Private road
No through road
No access to the Lighthouse

Walk to St Margaret's Bay And so on.

It was a damp and grey day, but not too cold, the air full of sea mist. Easy going down Station Road, huffing and puffing up the other side, through the village to the top of Bay Road, where I would take the stepped path down.

Walk to St Margaret's Bay I didn't count the steps down, but there were many, most covered in fallen leaves, and slippery as ice after the recent rain.

Walk to St Margaret's Bay I was glad when I reached the bottom of the steps, but then had to walk on the road for the final 50 metres to the bay itself.

Some two years ago The Coastguard closed and was taken over by Shepherd Neame.

St Margaret's Bay Truth is the previous owner had let its standards drop, the range of beers and whiskies was reduced, and on our last visit, we were only allowed one cheeseboard between the two of us.

The Coastguard, St Margaret's Bay We did not go back.

It reopened, and what with it being spring and then summer, it would always be full. We didn't go last winter, and so when Rob suggested meeting for lunch, I thought of here.

The Coastguard, St Margaret's Bay Glad I did as the place has been done up nice, the food good, but sadly with SN its mostly their own stuff, and with the horror that is Masterbrew. I made do with Bishop's Finger out of bottles and was happy enough. I can confirm the beer battered cod and chips was good and worth going down there for, as the fish was wonderfully fresh. Many thanks, Rob. My turn next.

The Coastguard, St Margaret's Bay Rob even dropped me off at the end of the street, allowing me to walk back home to do three more hours work to round off the day, before preparing dinner; more defrosted turkey and steamed vegetables.

Jools was late home, delayed by heavy traffic, meaning it was nearly eight by the time we had eaten and washed up. Where does the time go? And with football to listen to, writing to writ, the evening passes in a flash.

No comments: