Sunday 26 September 2021

Keep on trucking, baby

I am an HGV driver.

Or was.

My medical expired, but if I got a medical, if it were possible, and I wanted to get back into driving, I could.

But I won't.

I drove for six months, delivering dangerous chemicals, and I was shattering.

Out of the house 13 or 14 hours a day, enough energy to reheat the meals I made at the weekend and then going to bed in order to be able to do the job the next day. And weekends spent catching up on washing, cooking and resting up for another week trucking.

And when out trucking there were few facilities for toilets, food, showers, rest spots, all the things that would make a crap job better. If I had a very long day, even the greasy spoons closed up and there was no where to get something hot from.

I now work in management systems, and so am well versed in incident resilutions.

The immediate corrective actions the Government has decided upon is 5,000 3-month visas for truckers, and another similar amount for poultry workers, until December 24th. Using people rather like water, turning the tap on and off.

That in itself is bad enough, but the Government has to use that three months to come up with a permenent solution, which I just don't think they're cabable of.

And I don't think people will come over for three months to drive trucks; they have to find somewhere to live, and all the other stuff, by the time they're settled, it'd be time to leave as the Government is really only concerned with "saving Christmas", which is why poulty workers are included as there isn't enough people to supply the country with fresh turkey for Christmas.

Without mitigation the country will be back in this situation for the new year..

Grant Shapps is blaming the Road Haulage Association (RHA) for leaking details of a meeting, and people for panic buying fuel, not the shortage of drivers.

As I have said before, about the issues with Brexit in General, if Ministers and Johnson can't be honest about the root causes, the real working solutions can't be found.

Meanwhile people are still lining up to panic buy fuel.

No comments: