Tuesday 21 September 2021

Monday 20th September 2021 (part 1)

Welcome to Cambridge,

It had stopped raining, was getting light and the traffic was jumping, or going past the window, down on the street, which, in fairness, was the best place for it.

A walk into Cambridge After a while I got up to have a shower and get dressed, put on a mask to go down to breakfast.

A guy already sitting down at a table, maskless, was complaining about people and staff not wearig masks. I watched as he got up to go to the buffet table and he failed to wear as mask, but those others!

A walk into Cambridge I hadn't eaten since one the previous day, so I pay an extra tener to have a fried breakfast as welll as a selection from the buffet. A china pot of coffee was brought and so I lived like a king for a while, splashing coffee and ketchup on the startched linen of the table cloth.

A walk into Cambridge I was ready, but was Cambridge?

We shall see.

The hotel looked over the River Cam, and there was a bridge to Jesus Fields over the locks just down from the hotel. I crossed the road, went over the bridge and then followed the path beside the river. Joggers puffed past, and I stopped occasionally to take shots, as I am a photographer. Of course.

A walk into Cambridge Lining the river were punts tied up, do people still hire punts? Seems like they do.

The path changes into a boardwalk, with a College on the other side, but I was making for the stone bridge a hundred yards away. Or so. A walk into Cambridge As I was on a mission to find the camera shop that had a lens waiting for me to buy, I didn't really notice how quiet the streets were, I snapped a scene looking up from the bridge as a dray was reversing into an old coaching in, I was the only one looking at the driver's reversing skills.

A walk into Cambridge I followed the main road into the centre, turning right at a rounabout, passing the round church and St Clements which I would get to know better much later. 15,000 steps later in fact.

A walk into Cambridge Past more colleges, all looking like possible new Harry Potter locations, but all displaying "college closed to the public" signs. Sadly.

A walk into Cambridge The road opened out, and on the right was King's College, with the chapel towering above all buildings. I walk on, past Great St Mary, and found the shop just as the owner arrived to unlock it. It was quarter to nine.

A walk into Cambridge I gave him ten minutes to get the shop straight, I go in and intoroduce myself, he produces the lens. I put it on the camera and take two test shots. It all works. I pay the remainder off the coast, and the lens was mine.

Back outside I took a few more test shots, then set about trying to find a church to pactice on.

The unusually named St Bene't's was open, so I donned a mask and went in.

St Bene't's has a find Norman arch in the tower, it's best feature, apart from the extra punctuation, I record it all and am happy with the results.

I had watched the priest open Great St Mary's, but before I went in there, I thought I would have a coffee.

So I found a nice little independent place, who provided me with the best Americano I have ever had, which I take to a bench seat on the street so I could look at the people going by.

Electric cycles amd "motor"cycles glided past on the cobbles. I looked at the ticket I had for King's Chapel and saw the gate was a ten minute walk away. I had half an hour, so popped into St Mary, followed the one way system and got shots, trying to leave the couple arranging a family funeral alone in their saddest hour.

No comments: