Thursday 23 September 2021

Wednesday 22nd September 2021

The autumn solstice, and the harvest moon set at dawn.

In times past all of that might have meant something, all it meat to me was that it was time to go home.

Jools was OK with me cutting short the trip, and was very happy with knowing that dinner would be on the table when she got home.

When I woke at just before six, it was already getting light, and a fine day was in store. I think I had seen enough of the centre of Cambridge, and without a car, exploring further afield would have to wait for another visit.

I got up and was ready to go down for breakfast at sevwn, and again upgraded to a fried breakfast. I needed a good meal for travel I rationalised with myself. In fact it would take just three hours to get home, but that's how it goes.

After breakfast, I packed and checked the room and bathroom for anything I missed.

I called for a taxi, which was waiting by the time I got to the main entrance. I guess the worst of the traffic was over, but at time we inched along, and needed for him to find an alternative way to the station as a dustcart and lots of traffic backing up blocking the street.

Arrival I paid the guy, and made my way over the bridge and onto a train waiting to depart, we would be in London in 58 minutes or something. And all of us I could see in the carriage had masks on, and were very quiet, which was nice.

Something for the weekend Cambridgeshire rolled into Hertfordshire, we rattled aong at a fair lick, and soon we joined the east coast main line and rattled along even faster.

Azuma We pulled into Kings Cross just after ten, I didn't think I'd have time to get over to St Pancras, so would amble a bit, take some shots and see what was happening when I made it to the Southeastern platforms.

The Sharp End When I did get there I found a train was leaving for Dover in 15 minutes, giving me time to nip into Marks and Spencer for a bottle of ginger beer and some honey coated peanuts, then dash up the the patform just as the train pulled in. 12 coaches, nearly enough for each passenger to have their own.

Two hundred and sixty five I chose the one next to the front of the train, took a seat with a table and opened the nuts. Just a few before the journey started. I said.

I was like thos fun fair grabbing machines, hand going into the bag and coming out with half a dozen cashews, and down the hatch.

Nomnomnom.

Swig of pop.

And repeat.

Stratford came and went, and I kept up the grabbing, eating and popping.

We cruised over the Rainham Marshes, under the Thames into Kent, and onwards to Ashford and to Dover. The sun was so bright I could barely see the landscape slipping by.

And here comes Folkestone. There goes Folkestone, along the bottom of the cliffs, past Samphire Hoe and nearly there now.

Once off the train, I go into turbo mode to get past the daudling holiday makers with cases to make sure I get a taxi. I know, selfish, but I just wanted to get home and see the cats.

I get a taxi, there were two more behind, and he takes me along Townwall Street and up Jubilee Way to home.

Just under three hours after the train left Cambridge, I was making a brew and grilling some toast.

The cats swing by one by one and I feed them before sitting down and enjoying a decent internet connection.

I was going to go out for a walk, but it turns out my legs sent my brain a message along the lines of we did 35,000 steps theses last two days, four thousand this morning. We're shagged. OK, my brain said, but tomorrow we will walk. Lots.

I listen to the radio, write a couple of blogs and somehow the afternoon slips by and soon it is time to unpack, put stuff away and prepare dinner.

Dinner was breaded chicken, fried potatoes and fresh steamed corn.

Perfect.

Jools came back with tales of work and her ill boss. Remember, she should be on holiday, and she has five weeks vacation to take before the end of the year, somehow.

The evening turned golden, and as dusk fell, the moon rose to the south, all red and angry, partially covered by whispy clouds. One day past full, but good enough for a Harvest Moon for me.

No comments: