Saturday 14 January 2023

Friday 13th January 2023

A bad day for Knights Templars, everywhere.

Especially in Spain.

THe weekend was just in sight, so all we had to do was get through Friday and we would be there.

And being a Friday, that means meetings.

Meetings followed by meetings.

And then meetings.

Jools went to yoga, and in howling winds and driving rain, I put out the bins. The rain stopped, the wind dropped a little. Later, the sun even came out.

Thirteen Which was nice.

We were intordiced to our new colleague in India, which means our headcount in Europe won't now go back to four. We're not happy, but the guy is nice enough. Not his fault, clearly.

The morning dragged from one meeting to the next, with just enough time to make a brew or have a slice of buttered bread, now with the flavours of the herbs and spices I used becoming clearer.

About ten days back, while on one of my walks round the neighbourhood, I saw that there was a talk being given on the 13th in the village hall, and it sounded like it was being given by a friend of mine. When home I messaged her asking her if it was she who was giving the talk on the 13th.

St Margaret of Antioch, St Margaret's-at-Cliffe, Kent Not the 13th, she said, the 23rd.

I had taken a photo, so checked and it said the 13th. Next Friday.

After checking her mails, she realised it was indeed the 13th, and she had yet to write her talk! Just as well I had put two and two together.

St Margaret of Antioch, St Margaret's-at-Cliffe, Kent So, Friday was the 13th, and I would attend the talk, seeing at the village hall was just behind the church, and only a 15 minute walk away.

St Margaret of Antioch, St Margaret's-at-Cliffe, Kent Or so.

It was a bright, but chilly afternoon, and an easy stroll down Station Road and up the other side, past the shop, post office, through the churchyard, pausing to take shots of the carvings above the north door, then down the lane to the hall.

St Margaret of Antioch, St Margaret's-at-Cliffe, Kent I paid my £2, and met my friends, I had met her husband many years ago, and it was his casual comment to visit Park Gate Down that lead me into the manic word of orchid chasing.

St Margaret of Antioch, St Margaret's-at-Cliffe, Kent Anyway, her talk on botanists of yesteryear and theu journies through Kent identiying plants was very informative, and realise how much we have to thank Carl Linnaeus in standardising the naming of plants. And animals.

Afterwards, we chatted more over a cup of tea and a slice of Victoria sponge, before I said goodbye and walked back down the hill to home.

Waiting for me were four hungry cats, and I was in the process of feeding them when Jools came home, so we had a slice of the small piece of remaining Christmas Cake and a fresh brew.

2022 Vintage Chimay Grande Reserve It was, after all, the weekend.

Jools went to the take away for dinner: a meal for two with extra sweet and sour sauce, before I settled down to watch the evening game on the tellybox.

No comments: