Saturday 31 December 2022

The year ahead: Orchids

I have several trips planned for the new year looking for those UK species I have yet to see.

I am going to the north of England in May on an organised trip for 5 new species for me, and this will involve at least one night away from home.

Later in the year I hope to return to the New Forest for the smalled UK orchid, the Bog. The acid loving cousin of the Fen.

On top of that there is a trip to Norfolk to hunt for Swallowtails planned, and going with my friend, Gary that time.

And finally, a whole week in north east Spain looking for butterflies and orchids, staying in a Moorish hilltop town. I know, sounds horrible. Someone's got to do it.

And now, some thoughts on the new season:

With the easy availability of seeds and plants on the internet, most of dubious sources, I think there will be at least one new species "found" in the UK in the upcoming season. If I were to place money on it, I would say that Summer's Lady's Tresses, probably in the New Forest will be the most likely.

One hopes that those who are thinking of such reintroductions, takes time to think of the impact on our native species and on the habitats they are going to infect. And what could be the impact. Buying seeds and plants on platforms like e bay only encourages theft of plants from the wild, something that is already a huge problem here at home.

But, a new season filled with new hope. Hope at what may be discovered, and the people we might meet.

Happy hunting.

No comments: