Thursday 21 August 2014

Thursday 21st August 2014

Sunday

I woke up with a headache and feeling congested. That meant that my allergies were having a party in my head. I popped a pill hoping the drugs would work. In desperation, we headed for a walk. We had to go early as rain was predicated later in the day.

Sunday morning walk to Windy Ridge

We set off along the track at the end of the street, then cutting up across Collingwood and up to Windy Ridge looking for sloes and plums. It was a cool and breezy morning, but nice enough in sheltered places.

We walked through the wood looking for fungi, but I just saw some King Alfred’s Cakes and little else. We headed back for coffee and an early dinner.

Sunday morning walk to Windy Ridge

I watched the re-run of MOTD, looking glorious in HD on the new TV, but the football itself was as predictable as ever really. Still, it’s a new season and Sunday mornings will now be given over to fooball…..

Sunday morning walk to Windy Ridge

After lunch, Jools dropped me off at the new micropub in Barfrestone. Barfrestone is a small village between Dover and Canterbury, I am doubtful that such a venture could succeed in a small place like that, but the owners used to run the Yew Tree, so they know their customers and market, and judging by the first weekend, its going great guns. Sadly, Mr 1D was at the bar, but then it gave me someone to talk to as Jools went to visit Nan. He’s as full of crap as ever, but he liked my new camera and showed me where the spirit level can be found on it, so not all lost.

The Wrong Turn, Barfestone, kent

I drank several beers, Jools came back as I finished the third, so had a 4th as she had half of cider, then we went home. Needless to say, I laid on the sofa and slept through the football on the radio, waking up in time to dish dinner up, which was leftovers. Leftover breaded aubergine and pasta salad. Always nice.

The Wrong Turn, Barfestone, kent

Time then to pack for the morning. Yuk. Always hate doing that.

But by now the allergies were really going mad, and I knew I was in for a tough night. In the end I took more drugs and tried to sleep. I lay until gone one until, as if by magic, my sinuses cleared and sleep was possible, giving me something like just under four hours of sleep.

Monday

Needless to say I felt like shit warmed up in the morning, and was grumpy as hell.

I had coffee grabbed my cases and we headed to the station for me to catch the train to Stratford.

I turned on the mobile, checked work e mails, seems like they still know I exist, which is something. The train whisked me to London, and as I walked onto the DLR train, the door closed and off we went to the airport, with the train filling up at Stratford, and emptying again at Canning Town. As is the normal way.

It looked chaos at the check in desk, and it was, but I got into a queue to drop my bags, I guess it took half an hour longer due to the holiday season, then upstairs and was able to grab breakfast once through security with more than an hour to spare.

I snoozed on the plane on the way over, except when we went into a cloud, and the plane bucked like a bucking thing. I collected the case, all the time on auto pilot, it’s a good thing these things don’t change. At the car hire place they give me an Audi A3, which brightened my day, and I zoomed off to Esbjerg and the office. I drive through alternating bright sunshine and heavy rainstorms, which from what I gather has been the case in Denmark for a few weeks now, and looking at the countryside, it looked saturated.

After checking in the hotel, I went out to meet Steffen at a new restaurant called Butcher, which is a meat place, which came as no surprise really. I had a nice steak and a beer, then Steffen dropped me off back at the hotel, I cleaned my teeth and went to bed, hoping for a long, long night’s sleep.

No comments: