Thursday 7 August 2014

Thursday 7th August 2014

Wednesday.

When I woke up I knew that all was not right with me. But I settled down to work at the dining room table, as I do most mornings, only to find that within half an hour a migraine building. I could not focus on the computer screen, so I sat on the sofa with my eyes closed for two hours until it abated. I started work again, but was oddly washed out, and within an hour another one, this time with additional headache appeared, and so there was nothing for it that to head to bed and wait for it to pass.

Operation "Big Job": Day 8

I guess I snoozed for most of the afternoon, or at least tried to as the guys battered the house further into shape, very hard to ignore when they are hammering in the new facial of the roof a few inches from the end of the bed.

Still, come the end of the afternoon, the worst passed, and I felt good enough to get up, and think about dinner. Thankfully we had enough pasta and breaded aubergine left from the day before, so it was a case of just plating it up and pouring a drink to go with it.

Can I get to my macro lens, please

In the evening, it seemed sensible to get some fresh air, so we drove to the Dover Patrol to inspect the Autumn Ladies Tresses and to take in the evening sunshine. The tiny orchids were beginning to open, and so I got some shots, I am sure hardly anyone knows these are here, I only know because of another one of those chance meetings and conversations who told me where the orchids could be found.

Bird house cat

Looking along the coast, the fields had been cleared of bales, and the ploughing had already begun. The seasons really are moving on. It is just about dark before nine now, and now that the scaffolding has been removed from the front garden, the badgers are returning and clearing up the bird food and scraps we leave out.

Autumn lady's-tresses, Spiranthes spiralis

One other thing that happened during the day was Molly brought in a fledgling wren, I rescued it, and despite it looking stunned looked like it might survive. I put it in the front hedge and waited to see if it would pull through. It seemed to sleep for an hour, but on my last visit to check up on it, my finger poke was rewarded with the little fella flying off so it could live another day.

Birds 1, cats 0.

No comments: