Wednesday 13 August 2014

Wednesday 13th August 2014

Monday.

I woke on what was still Sunday evening with a sudden allergy attack. I have no idea what set it off, but shortly after going to bed, the sneezing begin, and violently. I took drugs, then more drugs, and about four hours later it settled down without the full-blown attack, but still, four hours short of sleep, and it’s a school day.

So, after dropping Jools off at the factory, I drove to Ramsgate, in the light traffic which is typical of the school holidays. The guys were then on their way out, so I had the office to myself, or at least a choice of desks, and so had one by the window.

During the day, the largest and blackest of storm clouds appeared and swept over what looked like Dover, and it seemed we would get a drenching too. But it passed over the channel and we could see the French coast getting bucketfuls. We did kop a hailstorm in the afternoon, so violent it set off car alarms in the car park.

By the time I drove home, it was sunny again, and after picking Jools up, we headed home along Reach Road with stunning views over to the coast where Calais was easily seen.

So, we have a plan; we are to get rid of Sky TV, buy a new TV with freeview, get a new digital aerial, thus saving £40 a month, which means the TV will pay for itself in a year or so. I am to organize the aerial, and the TV, we will see.

Tuesday.

I dropped Jools of at the factory again, and there was hope that there would be low enough winds for the fly past of vintage aircraft which was to mark the centenary of the first aircraft deployment of WW1. It was cancelled Monday because of wind and rain, and as I had to head into town for a quick job at the bank for Nan, I thought I would stop off to see the spectacle.

I headed out at one, and found half of Kent at the NT’s site on the white cliffs. For the original fly past yesterday, there was zero publicity, but the BBC and local news made a big thing of the cancellation, and said they were to try again the next day, hence the world and his wife were there waiting for the fly by.

Needless to say, there was no information at the site, I found out via facebook that the vintage planes could not take off, so only a single Tornado would be flying. I snapped that and left, leaving hundreds still waiting (in vain) for the fly past.

Panavia Tornado of II (AC) squadron

I went to the bank, and then headed home, passing the people I had left on the cliffs as they made their ways home too. I worked until 5, and then went to pick Jools up and then onto Folkestone to look at TVs.

TVs are much bigger and cheaper since the last time I bought one in 2000. For £500 we got a 42 inch flatscreen smart, 3D TV. Heck, it even fitted in the car and I was able to lift it on my own, more than I can say for the old CRT we have at the moment. The new aerial is being fitted on Thursday, so we have one very large hunk of 20th century technology to get rid of now.

No comments: