Saturday 2 July 2016

Friday 1st July 2016

And yay! We have made it to the beginning of a new month, turned the page over on the calendar, been paid and bought a whole month's cat food. So we can relax in a job well done.

Only we can't. Or I can't, as Friday turned into an absolute omnishambles. There is no other word to describe the cherry on top of a quite dreadful week at work. I mean some stuff went OK< but other stuff, well, I did find myself at one point yesterday with my head in my hands feeling emotional about it all. Yes, it was that bad.

The day began well with coffee. And progressed with more coffee and breakfast. And then work started and the avalanche of shit began. I won't go into details, but then having so many people who I thought could help not returning my calls. I could have screamed. In fact, it might have helped. It might have done more good than the firefighting I tried.

During the morning, I made some bread, and as the morning progressed, it rose, then I made it into rolls, and just before lunch popped them into the oven to cook. They smelt so good, and I was so hungry, I took one off the cooling rack, spit it open and smothered it with butter to have right away. It was wonderful.

By one, I was back in control, as much as I could be. One last meeting, and then at two, I was done. All caught up, hours booked, travel claims completed, and all documents filed. So at two I told myself to take the rest of the afternoon off, lay on the sofa, watch an old Time Team and have a snooze.

Jools comes home at half four with the shopping. We unpack and then make insalata caprese to go with the fresh bread I baked, then sit down to have dinner, toasting ourselves that it is the weekend at last. Should it be this difficult I don't think so.

The evening is filled with football; Wales v Belgium. And a game that should have been straightforward for the waffeleers, but instead, Wales played like Lions, or Dragons, and ran out deserved 3-1 winners, and making England's capitulation all the more worse.

Such is life.

No comments: