Friday 22 July 2016

Wednesday 20th July 2016

I awoke at some point very early in the morning, I looked round the edge of the curtains, and the sun was just about to rise, the sky a mix of blue and pink, all over. I needed more sleep.

I woke again just after seven, behind schedule and needing a shower and to pack.

That done I went down to the reception to check out, then go for breakfast, and it was the emptiest I had ever seen it, with just two diners, one being my colleague Manu, so I joined him for coffee and to talk.

The car is loaded, I find some station playing an old Bee Gees track, start the car, open the windows and take the short drive to the office.

Man, it is already hot in the office, and the remote for the air con unit has been lost, so there is little else to do other than to endure it, maybe have the window open ajar. Thankfully that side of the building was in shade for the morning, so it didn't get too hot. And by the time the afternoon arrives, I will be on the road to Arhus.

Evening in Arhus I find work to do, and fill the morning so that come one in the afternoon it was time to pack up and leave for the 90 minute drive to Arhus.

I say my farewells, it will be two weeks before I am back, so once done, I can walk to the car, across the car park that is so dry it is like a desert. In fact when the wind blows here, sand and grit are blown around, so much so the whole area is called Sahara. Anyway, I get in the car, open all the windows and drive away, wanting to go as fast as possible so that the wind would cool me and the car down.

Evening in Arhus The Audi is so easy to drive, the steering wheel doesn’t move unless you turn it, it has so much power, it accelerates very quickly. In short, I’m having a blast. Down the motorway for 60 or so km, the turn onto the E45 for the half hour drive up to Arhus South and from there down into the centre of the city, take a left and another 5 minutes to the hotel.

And there I see the first Pokemon Go players. In fact I nearly take four of them out as they run in front of the car, waving mobile phones in front of them. I park in front of the hotel, check in and take to my room where there is more work to do, enough to keep me busy until half four, when I will go and meet my old RAF buddy, Shaggy.

Evening in Arhus However, I thought I knew the way, and despite being just a few minute walk from the bar, I convinced myself I knew the way, walked down the hill past the modern art museum, along the road behind it, back up the other side right back to where I started.

I walk round, then see a sign post, so I have to go and check that, and sure enough it points back up the hill, and is some 800m away.

Mr Shaggy Shags So, by now I was sweating, and walking hard, puffing up the hill, across the intersection, then at the next crossroads, I see the station square, and just a little further on would be the bar.

Shaggs was waiting outside for me, checking with me on Facebook via his phone, sadly mine was in the hotel room, so no chance of answering him. We are meeting because he is going to buy my old 50D body, as I have failed to sell it via e bay, as well as bringing him so British supplies, Bovril and Marmite.

Highlander Bar He buys me a drink, and we retire to the beer garden, mixing it with the smokers and wild birds feeding in the tree above us. Its not a bad life, all in all.

After a refill, we go to the diner up the street and have burgers and huge plates of fries and mayo and strong Barley Wine to go with it all. I had no eaten since breakfast, so was hungry, and I can tell you, that it was all good, even though very unhealthy indeed.

Evening in Arhus Another short walk away was the Mikkler Bar, so we retire there to sample some unusual beers, and at that point I thought we would be calling it a night. Show me the Highlander Bar he asks.

Hmm, I thought I could go in and just have one, so I agree, and we walk along near-deserted streets to the bar, where Julian perks up when he finds he has some ex-forces drinkers in.

Evening in Arhus We sample the pineapple rum, and some other rum. Then it got silly and we switched onto some far eastern whisky he had just brought back after meeting with the distillers. It was good, aged in sherry casks and is was luscious. Sadly, Julian told me there was an even better one, although twice the price. I can’t resist, and have one for the road, and leave some £65 lighter.

Evening in Arhus From there it was a short walk back up the hill to the hotel, Shaggs walks back to the station, and all is quiet, apart from the Pokemon players running around on the grass near to the hotel; keeps them fit I suppose.

No comments: