Friday 15 July 2016

Wednesday 13th July 2016

Well, it is July in Denmark, and almost any kind of weather is possible. That it is warm and sunny this day is something of a shock, and one does hope that this kind of summery sunshine should last at least to the rest of the weekm but then again, this is Denmark.

And since arriving in Denmark on Monday, I have been looking for orchids. Not walking the land looking for them, but as I drove from the airport to Esbjerg, and each time I drive out of town I though I saw some plants that looked like they could be Marsh Helleborines, but turned out to White Campion, a mistake anyone could make whilst travelling at 90kmh.

Anyway, the search goes on. And on.

As I said, the day dawned bright and warm, and despite me intending to make it into work at seven, I did fall back to sleep and therefore woke at ten past seven, laid around a bit before getting dressed and going down to breakfast.

Cereal with fresh yoghurt, followed by a cheese roll and two coffees and all seemed better. Then the short drive to the office where the sky was about to fall. Again.

In what was like a replay of Tuesday with problems coming at me form all directions. And this continued until after lunch, at which point the phone calls stopped and so did the avalanche of e mails.

So, after a coffee, another coffee. One more coffee. And staring at my outlook inbox my mobile phone. And then switching from one to the other. And back to the first.

And then with the final meeting of the day being abandoned, we could all finish for the day half an hour or so early, and I could go for a drive to look for more orchids. Some orchids.

Any orchids.

So I take the road to Ribe, crossing many fields and marshes, and it was on the marshes I hoped to see some spikes. But I see none. I stop to take a closer look, but no orchids. I drive into the next town, through that, along some lanes before turning back onto the main road and back to the hotel, arriving back at just after four.

I do some work, listen to some radio, but my stomach tells me we have skipped lunch again, and maybe we should consider going for dinner sooner rather than later.

At quarter past six, I walk up the main shopping street to the town square, through that and past the James BOnd disco (don't ask) to Bones. They have a table, so I hit the salad bar and also order a large portion of ribs, which was very welcome if I may say so.

I walk back to the hotel via Dronning Louise where I have a pint of local beer whilst sitting out in the square. But as the sun had sunk below the bank opposite, it was cool, but there was no way I was going to use the blankets that were available, its not that cold!

Once I drunk up, walked to the hotel along the deserted streets and went to my room to work and listen to the radio some more, whilst taking breaks to look at the boats coming and going from the harbour below.

Not a bad life, all in all.

No comments: