Monday 4 July 2016

Sunday 3rd JUly 2016

At last, a weekend where, on one day, the sun was supposed to shine it not for all the day, then for most of the day. Which would mean that I should be able to get some serious orchid action in. And why not? Well, as we enter July, the season slows down rather, with just the Helleborines and ALT to come, and what is already out begins to fade and turn to brown and go to seed.

However, its not all orchids and orchid chasing in Kent an in hour house; oh no. There are butterflies too. And it just happens one of the best places in the country to see one of Britain's rarest, the Heath Fritillary, which can be found the other side of Canterbury. We had been there to see them before, we knew the way, what could go wrong?

Well, we shall see.

Anyway, after confirming the route, we blasted off to Canterbury up the A2, filling up at Whitfield with unleaded, and shocked to see how fuel was already creeping back up in price, now £1.13 a litre, and likely to rise much further.

Heath Fritillary Melitaea athalia Through Canterbury, or at least round the ring road onto the Sturry road before turning off just after we cross the railway, and up into the rolling Kentish countryside. Turning off to East Blean wood, down a narrow and winding lane to the car park. I grab my camera and look to where, two years ago, there were hundreds of Heath Fritillary would fill the air with their fluttering. Only now I saw the area was all overgorwn, and showing no signs of photographer's activity.

Heath Fritillary Melitaea athalia I was at a loss to know what to do: so I walked round and round and it became clear that were no butterflies there. We decided to follow the path, and almost staight away Jools spotted a single Fit, flapping away. When it settled I bent down to snap it, it opened it's winds to show off its fine patterns. I snapped away.

Heath Fritillary Melitaea athalia Just along the path another was still roosting on a grass stem, so I bend down and take many shots, as the underside of the wings are even lovelier than the upper side. So I snap it, and some do come out fine.

One final Frit was basking on a fern leaf, so I bent down to take shots of that too, when it was joined by a second, which, unusually, did not result in both flying around fighting, but they basked side by side for a few seconds before one thought better of it.

Heath Fritillary Melitaea athalia Happy with that, we turn round and walk back to the car, I mean we could have gone for a walk round the wood, but I had orchids on my mind.

Possibly the most attractive of the Kentish Orchids is the Marsh Hellebroine, which can only be found at one location, at Sandwich Bay. And as I had seen some shots of the spikes already open, I had been wanting to get over there as soon as possible. And a visit last week resulted in not being able to go to the site due to bird ringing. So, I was now really, really wanting to see them.

Marsh Hellebroine Epipactis palustris I gentle drive back down to Sturry, then along the main road to Broadstairs before turning off at Grove Ferry, cross the railway again and onto the marsh to Preston before turning to the coast. A trip of 45 minutes I suppose, but not an unpleasant one, as we drove down narrow twisty lanes.

Marsh Hellebroine Epipactis palustris At the estate entrance, we said we were going to the reserve, which in this case was true, so we paid our pound and drive along the paved road to the reserve car park and offices. I asked at the ringing office if we could go to look at the Helleborines, only to be told they were ringing, so that would not be possible. I was disappointed, so they offered a compromise; we could watch them ringing for a few minutes, then was with them thrugh the nets to the orchid site.

Marsh Hellebroine Epipactis palustris Sounded good to me, so we watched as a female Chaffinch was brought into the room in a small bag, measured, feather counted and weighed and finally tagged before being released. Interesting stuff.

So we walk over the road, and we swap news and stories about or hobbies; birds and recording for them, and orchid madness for me.

After walking past the empty nets, Jools and I were allowed to walk on to the orchids, where after a short search, we found the right dune slacks and spotted the orchids, many of which were yet to unfurl and open. But many were opening, or opening to make the trip worthwhile, so I get down to take a few shots. Not many just enough to records this season. Mixed in were many Southern Marsh, already turning brown from the bottom of their spikes. There was a fine group of seven spikes, so I snap that, and it seems that I am done. I mean I could have stayed for ages, but I had the shots I wanted.

Southern Marsh Orchid Dactylorhiza praetermissa So we waited for the ringers, and walked back with them to the road, get back in the car and drive back home for a brew and some gingerbread biscuits. And why not?

It was Jools' niece's birthday; does that make sense? And we were invited to a bbq. So, at half one we go into town to attend it, in Mikes sloping garden, where is hard work in transforming the house is nearly complete. It is good to mix with people, but then Brexit is not far from the surface in most conversations, and I was asked how it might affect my job. I reply that we haven't left the EU yet, or even begin to leave and are unlikely to leave. This annoyed my sister-in-law somewhat, who demanded that the non-binding referendum be honoured with destroying the country, even if it was based on lies. We voted, its only right. Or something. This is like someone deciding to have their leg amputated, a doctor telling the patient its a bad idea, but still demanding their leg be cut off.

Jane stepped in and said politics was banned, a sensible thing, really.

We left just after three, heading to Tesco to buy some toilet rolls and other stuff that we had managed to forget on the two previous trips shopping over the weekend.

Back home in time for a coffee and a pistachio Magnum in the garden in the late afternoon sunshine. Which was rather lovely I have to say.

More football in the evening, the last quarter-final, and France took Iceland apart in the 1st half to lead 4-0 at the break. But Iceland fought back, and scored twice and had three great other chances, but failed to take them, losing 5-2, but not disgraced. What this says about an England side that lost 2-1 to them is another thing of course....

No comments: