Friday 8 July 2016

Thursday 7th July 2016

I should be so lucky, I suppose, that after a 14 hour plus travelling day, that I should be working from home the next day, with the two second commute from one seat at the dining room table to the next. Easy peasy, lemon squeezy.

I do have meetings from half seven right through until after three, but thanks to a software failure, the bulk of it is scrapped, and I can catch up on the prevuous two days missed work. And make sure all the filing is up to date, and by the end of the day, I feel more in control.

It is the typical working from home day, outside the sun shone, and yet I was trapped at the dining room table, either in phone calls, reading documents or some other such nonsense. I tell myself that after the next mail or meeting I would take five or ten minutes in the garden to take in some natural light, but of course that time never arrives. Or when it does, late in the afternoon, it has clouded over and soon enough a steady rain is falling. I see it too late to get the washing in, so I watch it get wet again.

Jools gets fish and chips on the way home, which saves the cooking and washing up of course. So we are able to sit down and re-watch John Peel's triumphant return to TOTP from early 1982, where he was able to to intoduce Theatre of Hate, Soft Cell and OMD, and be sardonic with it too.

We also spend part of the evening packing the last of the Empire Magazines, ready to be collected. Seems a waste to sell them for so little, but then the extra space would be nice. And once packed we move the 11 boxes downstairs, we just need to know when they'll be collected I suppose. And then it is the second semi final in the European Championship, France v Germany, a heavyweight game, and which should be well worth watching. Well, almost; Germany dominated the first half, but concede thansk to a controversial penalty, then a goalkeeping mistake left Germany 2-0, and there was no real response. The game petered out, and thankfully we were spared extra time, so could go to bed before ten, and get something close to eight hours sleep.

No comments: