Monday 7 August 2017

Sunday 6th August 2017

Thanks to these posts and my words hereon written, I have been able to track my aches and pains, and in particular the allergies. Without these, I would be surprised every year as to when, in August, I get sneezing fits and faux flu. Instead I know when to expect them, but still do not know why. The internet suggests it could be the emergence of fungi and other organisms that help break down leaves and plants awakening before the autumn leaf fall.

Autumn Lady's Tresses Spiranthes spiralis I think of this each time I go into the woods to snap the Violet Helleborines at this time of year, as I have to lay in the drifts of old and decomposing leaves. Is my hobby making things even worse than they need be? It is quite possible.

Sunday morning walk to Kingsdown Leas I say this, because some three weeks earlier than normal, I have been sneezing and sniffling like a good un, I know this as in previous years the onset of the attacks coincides with my birthday. Life gives such great gifts. And this week, the sneezing has increased, and with each shower, application of deodorant or squirt of fly spray, I am sensing I am increasing the sensitivity of my body. And so through yesterday, the sniffing and sneezing developed into full blown flu. At least being outside would make things better as long as I stayed away from any woodland with leaves.

Sunday morning walk to Kingsdown Leas It was a glorious morning; sunny and not a breath of wind. And there was a number of things I wanted to do. I had wanted to wander down the cliff path to Kingsdown looking at plants and butterflies. Mainly in the hope of seeing an Adonis Blue of a Clouded Yellow, maybe a bit groggy and easy to snap first thing in the morning. And there are the orchids to check up on.

Sunday morning walk to Kingsdown Leas We drive up to Lethercote Point where we can park among the overnight camping vans, and go straight away to check the grassed area around the monument. I saw straight away that it had been mowed over the previous week, meaning there would be no orchid spikes this week, or flowering ones anyway. Jools did find two developing spikes, but they were very small, and poor showing for a site that produces hundreds in a good year. Can't say I was surprised, but having reported the orchids for the last four years, I would have hoped that I wouldn't have to do it for a 4th.

Sunday morning walk to Kingsdown Leas From there it was a lazy amble down the slope, following the line of the cliff edge, stopping off at regular intervals to check up on some new or unusual plant. So much to see, checking the differences between two of the three Scabious species I found. Some Jools knew, other I did, but mostly neither of us knew. But it was fun looking, even to joggers and twitchers, we were looking down not forward or up.

Field Scabious Knautia arvensis At the gate which marks the boundary between St Margaret's and Kingsdown, Jools decided that it was enough to walk that far, but I pressed on, knowing that in a few hundred metres, the butterflies would soon begin. Where the service road ends is where the Chalkhill Blues like to roost, and during the day fly about basking and collecting food.

Painted Lady Vanessa cardui I spot a pristine Painted Lady, just basking in the hedge, adjusting its position to get as much of the rays as it could I managed to get a few shots, you'll be glad to know.

Chalkhill Blue Polyommatus coridon Further along, I come to the house which houses an estimated 25% of the nation's population of Autumn Ladies Tresses, some of which have spread onto its well kept verge. But that had also just been mowed, however I did spot two more spikes there, just showing. Last year this had the largest spike of the ALT I have seen, so let us hope for bigger things in the next few weeks.

So, I walk back, checking the Everlasting Pea for any errant Long Tailed Blues, just in case. I see none.

Hemp agrimony Eupatorium cannabinum It is a long climb back up to the Patrol, taking some half an hour or so, broken only by regular stops to admire the view or look at some new plant I missed on the way down. I walked passed where Jools was waiting, and it took some shouting to rouse her revealing that I had walked past here some 500m before.

Adonis Blue Polyommatus bellargus (f) What to do now? Well, once back at the car we decide with the time ticking towards ten, we should go for breakfast, at home. Being a Sunday there is bacon, there is bread, there are bacon butties. And whilst eating I can review my shots too, of course.

Now, there are still those Violet Helleborines to see in Barham wood, if we go now I could take some long exposure shots. I suggested to Jools. She wanted to go shopping for shoes first, just stuff for the trip, nothing like a Jimmy Choo hunt, anyway, we agree that we should go to the wood first, parking on the far side at the large paved area, then taking the bridleway through the trees, overgrown as it was by willowherb.

Violet Helleborine Epipactis purpurata To my surprise, some of the spikes had gone over already and showing seed pods developing. Others were in their prime, and the air moved slightly enough, but allowing for most of the shots I wanted. Checking on the group on the far side of the clearing, I am snapping away when Jools has found the only person we have ever seen here, talking about orchids and plants.

Violet Helleborine Epipactis purpurata As I finish I go and join, and turns out it is the chap I met years ago when looking for an Adonis Blue; he remembered me, which is nice. John knows the woods like the back of his hands, and reveals he has been walking this wood for more than 30 years, and know far more about the location of rare plants, including orchids.

Violet Helleborine Epipactis purpurata We go back via De Bradlei Wharf in Dover, I stay in the car as Jools hunts and gathers shoes, so am able to listen to a good interview with Thurston Moore from Sonic Youth. He is now not so youthy, but gravelly of voice. A smart cookie though, and the versions of the Backbeat Band's Beatles covers from the film were hard edged and very good in fact.

On the way back we stop at Westcliffe so I could snap the hay bales in the big rolling field there. Its like shooting fish, so I get some shots and retire back to the car.

Two hundred and eighteen Back home for coffee and an ice cream. Sitting on the patio eating the Magnums, peace and quiet all around, and our garden a riot of colours, and full of butterflies. I go to top up the top wildlife pond, and see the head of a newt sticking out, very much at home. So, there he is at last.

Dinner is chorizo hash, it must seem we have a narrow range of meals, but when you're chef, you get to choose what you make, and Jools likes what we eat, so there is no problem.

Dinner is accompanied by pink fizz and Desert Island Discs, and so another weekend has slipped through our fingers. And outside, the near full moon rises in a velvety blue sky, deep yellow at first as it climbs over the houses the other side of the dip. As I try to control my allergies, I sit outside and bats wheel and tumble, chasing insects before darkness falls.

At the end of the weekend Situation normal.

1 comment:

nztony said...

You skipped over the shoes! I wanted to know more about them and perhaps even a photo.