Friday 11 August 2017

Thursday 10th August 2017

And so, on Thursday began the holibobs.

And in order for his nibs to have some automotive transport the next two days, he had to collect a hire car. So it came to pass after the early morning coffee, Jools drove me to the lay by near Dover Castle leaving me to walk down the full length of Castle Hill.

Dark clouds were already gathering, so I snap them towering over the remaining towers of RAF Swingate, then walked down towards the castle, and being rewarded by 5 minutes sunshine, illuminating the castle, the church and Pharos. Worth the work just for that moment if I'm honest.

Two hundred and twenty two I walk down the hill, crossing over and taking random shots as I walk. I have an hour to waste, or to spend in an unproductive manner, and I'm an expert on that!

Yet another walk into Dover I walk all round the St James development, recording the progress, snow that the walls are on some buildings, and those having been covered with plaster or something similar. And as the pavement along Townwall Street was closed, I had to walk back up Castle Street then on towards the port. But as I neared Eastern Docks, dark clouds appeared over the cliffs, and a hard rain began to fall. But I had an umbrella, which meant just my ankles and feet got wet. And so I scampered into the port where my car was waiting; just sign here, here, here, initial there, there and there, and away you go.

Yet another walk into Dover Meaning I was back home by half eight, and treating myself to yet more oatcakes with butter and marmalade. A breakfast if not of kings, then worthy of the first of fourteen working days off. With rain continuing to hammer down outside, I thought I would get the worst of the chores out of the way first, a haircut.

Yet another walk into Dover So into town, park on Cherrytree and straight into an empty chair, and was shorn. We talked of the holiday and eclipses, she had not heard of the event, nor knew where Wyoming was. But sounded excited enough that we were going. A tenner sees me looking sharp and some pounds lighter.

Yet another walk into Dover I decide there isn't any point in going home, as I am to meet a friend in Faversham, so drive to Temple Ewell in order to follow up a lead on some errant orchids. It is still raining, not hard, but it had been hard,, but I am a son of Norfolk and made of hardy stock. I walk up the path, only to find the nettles and brambles bent over by the weight of water, blocking the path. I try to push by, but get stung and scratched, until I have to give up. Those darn orchids were going to have to wait.

As it seemed to be brightening up, so I thought if I went to meet Mark at Faversham, we could go out early and go orchid chasing. As I drove towards Canterbury, the rain fell harder and harder, and so it seemed madness that we were going to spend the rest of the day outside looking for orchids and butterflies, but then as my old Dad might say, its just a clearing up shower.

In Faversham it was grim, raining and gloomy, but not disheartened, I said it was brightening up near the coast, so lets go to Barham to see the Violet Helleborines. Back down the A2, along the road with nearly an inch of standing water. It seems madness, but we were happy just being out.

And at Barham it did seem to be brighter. We walk to along the woodland path, up the hill and found the spikes with no problem. I didn't take any shots as I got the ones I wanted at the weekend, so I watched as Mark got his shots and drooled over the wonderful flowering spikes. I mentioned my encounter with John and his insistence that there were ALTs at Temple Ewell, and with the weather brightening up further, we decide to go there next for a hunt.

He guided me to the car park, halfway up the down, meaning the walk to the meadow wasn't too bad at all. Now, despite lots of hunting in what looked ideal ALT habitat, we found no spikes at all. But I distracted by the abundance of butterflies, and some were clearly Adonis Blues.

Adonis Blue Polyommatus bellargus I gave up on the orchids and wait until I find a male Adonis, then have camera poised as I wait for a clear patch of sky to allow sunshine down, and despite me saying that I bet he won't open is winds. As the sun shone, the small butterfly opened both wings, blinding me with its azure brilliance. That was worth the whole day right there. I also see Common Blues, Chalkhill Blues, Brown Argus, Large White, Gatekeepers, Meadow Browns and Small Heaths, and in less than ideal conditions. I decide to return on the morrow when phoebe was due to shine.

We walk back to the car, and decide a ten minute diversion to the Dover Patrol monument was a good idea, but once there, a close search revealed just two spikes, and neither close to flowering. Oh well.

That left us with the last port of call, back along the A2 to Sittingbourne to a nature reserve where the Autumn Ladies Tresses are said to be earliest. It rained some more on the way, but was dry, at least in the air, by the time we arrived. We searched and searched, and finally Mark found a single flowering spike, beside the bottom footpath. We both take dozens of shots, as it was open. But despite looking all over for more, just a few non-flowering spikes were found. Mark does stumble across a Silver Spotted Skipper and napped it. I had never seen one, but despite another hour of searching, I see hide nor hair of a skipper.

Autumn Lady's Tresses Spiranthes spiralis It was now 5, and I had to drop Mark off, then make my way home to feed the cats and prepare dinner. It was raining again, meaning that despite the weather, we had a card full of shots and many fine things seen, including a pristine male Adonis for me.

I arrive home ten minutes before Jools comes home, and dinner was to be; cheese and crackers and wine (or cider). It was quick and easy. I do cook a burger each later int eh evening, and that felt much better as somehow I had managed to miss a meal during the day. Anyway, a fine first day off, and many, many more to go.

1 comment:

nztony said...

Wow, that was a true Tour de Kent.