Thursday 31 August 2017

Wednesday 23rd August 2017

We heard nothing through the night, despite our fears of strange animal calls me might hear. It was light when I opened my eyes, and my new watch tome me it was ten to seven. Jools woke up half an hour later, meaning that we would be right on time for breakfast in the lodge.

A walk in Wyoming High County Squirrels and chipmunks were already out, on feeders and clearing up food left on the floor. I could say it was coffee were were looking for, but to be honest, most of the coffee we have had on the trip has been awful, either too weak or too stewed. Here it was acceptable, acceptable enough to have a refill anyway. There was cereal, fruit and pancakes and sausage patties. All smothered in maple syrup. Yummy. Not that healthy though.

A walk in Wyoming High County Leading out from the lodge and round the meadow was an old ATV track, so we decided to follow that in a ramble to see where the track lead. It did mean having to clamber through the fence, or use the dangerous looking gate thing. With my track record, it was safer to climb through the fence.

A walk in Wyoming High County Up amway to the tree line, seeing the same butterflies as yesterday, but some of the fritillaries were so bright, even though I had shots of them, I took more, because.

I also got shots of the ones that look like Clouded Yellows and Brimstones, as well as a Checkered Skipper, or whatever their American cousins are called.

A walk in Wyoming High County The trees were pines, and busy with wildlife. Even if we could not see them, we could hear their calls and warnings. All told, I think I saw three species of Fritillary, a Comma, an American Lady, 3 species of Whites, two Skippers (at least) and three Blues. On top of that, chipmunks, 2 species of squirrels and I even saw a porcupine. Amazing, i just caught sight of it as it crossed the path.

The track came to a large clearing, which dropped away to a valley on the far side, but it was alive with butterflies, the same as we had seen thus far, but still, well worth chasing round with the camera trying to get yet more shots

A walk in Wyoming High County After an hour, we turn back for the cabin, seeing more wildlife, flowers and insects. It was nearly twelve by the time we got back, and we had done just enough phy to deserve some lunch.

Veggie burger for me, and a cheeseburger for Jools filled the hole.

A walk in Wyoming High County I was back out again after lunch, chasing yet more Blues. Back up the track round the meadow, looking at as much of the flying insects as could. And I even get three species of moths this time too.

By three, it was too hot to do anymore, so I stumble back to the cabin for some coffee and M&Ms, and to review the shots of the day.

We think that maybe we should go for dinner later, after the rush had died down, so at seven we walk up to the lodge only to find dinner had only just been brought out, but again was hearty and healthy, with beans, salad and vegetables.

A walk in Wyoming High County Later in the evening we join the other residents around the campfire, we had missed smores, but sitting under the darkening sky whilst sharing stories was good. Jools and I were waiting for full darkness, as I was to try to snap the milky way, but some high level haze from the fires out west made it tricky, and despite following advice from a friend, I don’t think i captured anything other than darkness, but it was good standing in the middle of a field with the magnificence of the heavens above us. We had seen a mother moose and her calf twice during the day, but too dark now, only to listen to ever stanger calls coming from the woods.

No comments: