Tuesday 17 April 2018

Monday 16th April 2018

Back to work, and a reprise of the trip to the hospital, although this time I would have to go to Ashford, as there were no appointments in Dover.

Before that there was always work, and before that, watching the highlights of the football, and before that; coffee.

It is supposed to be warming up this week. I hope so, I try to live without the heating, but soon give in. Jools makes coffee and soon I am sitting on the sofa watching the "highlights" of United's loss to Albion from the day, and Arse's mysterious loss to Newcastle. Jools leaves for work, I make a fresh coffee and try to wake up.

It is soon time for work, powering up the laptop, checking mails and then making calls as I try to catch up with overdue work.

My stomach tells me there was cold sausages in the fridge, and despite having had breakfast at half six, by half nine I find myself making sausage butties and a brew.

At twelve I have to leave for the hospital. Well, as it was arranged over the phone, I don't know who the consultant was, what department, just the time and that it was at William Harvey.

Coltsfoot Tussilago farfara It is a sunny day, but there is a keen breeze blowing, I stop at the top of Jubilee Way to snap the Coltsfoot, but already they are fading, and outnumbered by dandelions that are springing up everywhere among the discarded litter and car parts left over from accidents. Nature finds a home even in the most unlikely places.

Coltsfoot Tussilago farfara Back into the car and along Jubilee Way to the port and then to Shakespeare and the start of the A20 to the hospital. I had hoped if I arrived early, I could leave early.

I park and go to reception. I explained my situation.

Go to outpatients reception next door I was told.

I explained the situation, they look at my records, get me to sign a form. Go to waiting area D I was told.

I follow the signs to waiting area D and find it empty. A nurse asks me why I was here; everyone is at lunch. The doctor isn't back yet, go to Costa for a coffee and come back in half an hour I was told. I obay because that's what I do.

Barren Strawberry Potentilla sterilis I walk back to the coffee shop, order a coffee and a slice of very unhealthy looking cake made with white chocolate and cranberries, and I set about making both disappear.

The nurse comes back; my two o'clock hasn't turned up, if you come along we'll get you in quick. And she was as good as her word. I was in, asked all sorts of questions by the registrar, and all was good. He even laid his hands on me, not sure if that is part of the service, but still he warmed them first. Which was nice.

I am out by three, three hours gone, and not enough time to go home, as I have to pick up Jools as she had a doctor's appointment, so I decide to go to Park Gate Down, a short drive away. Or would be if I hadn't have gone via Wye, getting caught at the level crossing for twenty minutes.

So after going through the village, up and over the Devil's Kneading Trough, down some narrow lanes towards Elham, and arriving at the down just as the sun had gone in, and a cold wind blew. I walked to the down, looking for EPO rosettes, but at first could find none.

I walked up the first pasture, through the gate until beside the upper path I find some rosettes, weeks away from flowering. And so no point looking for Monkey. I had 30 minutes to get to Hythe and be ready for Jools.

At least through Elham I was spared the usual traffic chaos caused by parked cars, as the road was quiet, down the valley to the motorway, over that and up the other side over the down and into Hythe, Saltwood Castle looking pretty as a picture from the top of the down, so I take a pretty picture.

Saltwood Castle from Blackhorse Hill, Hythe, Kent Jools comes out at half four, and we drive back over the down to the motorway and home. She drops me off at the house, goes to the doctors alone, so I can feed the cats and prepare dinner. Dinner is chicken fillets with new potatoes and salad. Nothing fancy, just light summer food and so perfect.br />
There was football on the radio, I listen to the second half laying in bed. I don't hear most of the game, apart from being woken when West Ham score a last minute equaliser.br />

No comments: