Monday 2 April 2018

Monday 2nd April 2018

Bank Holiday Monday.

Weather forecast: heavy rain and gales in Kent, snow in Yorkshire. Normal Bank Holiday, then.

Yes, Bank Holiday and being April you might like to think you could spend it in the country looking for flowers, orchids, butterflies, the Gods have other ideas and send lots of weather. Football matches were postponedbecause of snow. Motorways were closed because of snow.

Sometimes it snows in April. A lot.

Down here we were expecting 24 hours of torrential rain, but through yesterday the forecast got a little better, was improved this morning, and today we actually saw some sun.

Ninety two As ever, there was football to watch first thing, but not being a Sunday there was no bacon; just cereal.

Somehow we managed to fritter half the morning away, but then outside there was no rain, it looked bright. And I needed a haircut.

So a tip to Folkestone was called for.

Folkestone Harbour Station And it turned out that on Bank Holiday the Jelltexes joined the hordes and headed for the seaside. What could possibly go wrong? We are not one for crowds if the truth is known, so us joining the great unwashed in the annual pilgrimage to the seaside for candy floss and kiss-me-quick hats. Lovely.

Folkestone Harbour Station It really wasn't that bad. We parked in the town and I went to find a place that was open to get a hair cut, the usual place was closed to I went to the what I thought was the Turkish place, but turns out they were Kurds. No real difference to me, but huge to them. I talked a little about the politics of the region, which is more than most people I guess. He creates a work of art, or takes so much care an attenton on what I fail to comb or brush for weeks on end.

Folkestone Harbour Station But the deed is done, I give him a tip, and we walk down the old High Street to the harbour, take the steps up to the new walk along the trackbed of the old Harbour Branch. I wanted to see the old station now the work was complete, and the path goes through the station, while the station has been renovated, new canopy put up, and looked a picture. Just a shame that no trains will ever run down it again. But it is now a community asset I suppose. And it will be preserved.

Folkestone Harbour Station Once we got to the harbour arm, we turned round and went on the hunt for lunch. Jools said she wanted a burger, and I pointed out these was a burger place up the High Street, so it was decided, we would go there. And arrived just at midday as they opened the door. I ordered a burger with the cheese inside the patty, which was different. But then how can you really do something new with a burger?

Folkestone Harbour Station The food is good, but the two girls serving are having a bad day with a group of eight who keep changing their order, meaning the rest have to wait to order. But we were first. Our meals come, all piping hot and not at all healthy. And they burgers were good, a tasty mix of sauces, mustard and pickles. I enjoyed it, even better as we did not have to wash up.

Folkestone Harbour Station We were done with crowds, so walked to the car just behind the burger joint, and we are on our way home before one, and home at half past.

We make a brew and settle into our routines, me on the computer swearing at Twitter as I follow Norwich as they crashed to a 4-1 defeat at QPR. Will this season never end? Funnily enough, that's what Jools says.

I do a session on the cross trainer, then prepare the tomatoes and cheese whilst Jools goes on the cross trainer. Rain had returned and it was getting dark early. And another four day weekend had slipped through our fingers again.

I have to pack, and get ready for two and a half days away.

Will be back on Thursday.

No comments: