Friday 26 October 2018

Thursday 25th October 2018

I awake with it still being dark outside, but the traffic is rumbling by. Odd really, that a town you might not have heard of, Allabourg, is choked with traffic, all people going to work from the outlying villages, and already up here in northern Denmark, the working day is well under way before dawn arrives.

I still have some jetlag, and the cough refuses to go, so together they make for poor night sleeps and me with a woolly head in the mornings. When I told my boss I wasn't going to set an alarm and she had to call me, she thought I was joking. But its true, I wanted as much sleep, every second of it, that I could. But I was in shower when she called. Twice. And the phone was on silent too.

Yes, I will met the rest at breakfast once dressed I tell her. Good we are to leave at half seven I am told.

I dress, pack and go down for a quick breakfast of a nutella roll and coffee before the others are ready to go, so we can load up the van, and I manoeuvre it out of the garage, with Mads telling me there was even less clearance on the roof this time. He put the areal back on the van, gets in, and we jump into the rush hour traffic.

The main road out of town, and in, is messed about with roadworks; it took some time for us to get to the motorway, but traffic coming into town was solid for miles.

Away in the west the full moon was just above the horizon, bright at first, but fading fast as sunrise approached.

My boss was concerned that we should not miss a meeting at nine, so that is why we left early, and I pressed on taking us back south to Aarhus, where once we arrived, the rush hour had ended, and there was no jams leading to where we turn off the main road to the office. Just no parking spaces. Or a couple. I manage to squeeze the bus into the space, and we go to the main entrance and our desks, just on time for the meeting.

And so there we are, all back from pretending to selling drugs and now back doing our day jobs, as it should be.

I have loads to do, still do, I have cleared one week's mails, but two are left unread from our holiday. If they're important, they'll write again, or ring. I suppose that's true.

I stay until 5, no point in going earlier as the roads will be jammed And at five it is a simple drive down to the ring road and along to the Scandic, where I have a room for the night.

We have upgraded you she tells me.

When I go to the room, I can only see that the room is slightly larger, being on a corner and has a second window. So, daylight, what there is of it in Denmark in October, is a luxury. Which I suppose is right.

Two hundred and ninety seven I have no energy for working in the evening, I find some TV to watch, nothing interesting, before I go down for dinner at half five.

I order burger with cheese and onion rings without looking at the menu: I know it by heart. I do start with leek soup, which was souper. Super. And no beer, just a diet Coke.

Back in my room I watch the FC Copenhagen v Prague game, and it is awful, I mean worse than watching Norwich! There was lots of play acting and protests, so my interest waned somewhat. But Prague win 1-0 with a good goal, and like Copenhagen, my race is run, so I go to bed to cough myself to sleep.

No comments: