Tuesday 15 September 2020

Monday 14th September 2020

Back to work.

And for Jools, just two more days before she is back in the furlough house. Though Government uncertainty means that might only last until the next of the month, and no one knows, least of all the Chancellor, what will come or happen then.

Dawn in St Maggies Whatever happens, even if the job goes, we can now cope as the mortgage is paid, but we would rather she could carry on working as we would like to go on our travels next year. We shall see.

Anyway, Jools got up when the alarm went off at five. I had been awake for at least an hour and a half, but lay in bed for a few minutes.

Two hundred and fifty eight Jools made coffee.

Dawn was showing, and a mist was rising from The Dip, making a quite splendid view, so I went up to the bathroom window to take a few snaps.

I also snap The Moon and Venus high up in the southern sky. Venus would be headline news by the end of the day, but I did not know that.

The Moon and Venus Jools leaves for work, but soon calls me to say the bales in the big field between our street and Westcliffe looked sensational with the mist. I should go out and take shots.

So I put on my shoes, grab a camera and walk down the streets.

It was a good call, as the mist in the Dip looked sensational, with the bales of staw emerging from the haze.

Insomnia has it's benefits I took a few shots.

Then walk back to the house to make breakfast and get ready for the day ahead.

Even worse than a day at work was the fact it was a rest day on Le Tour, the afternoon would stetch before me like a treeless plain.

A short walk Work is work. You know.

But with the lack of sleep and working at the computer, I need a break before lunch, so go for a walk.

By half ten it was already hot, too hot to go too far, so I walk over the fields, past hedgerows still bowed down by the bumper crop of autumn fruit and berries.

A short walk Above me, house martins gathered in dozens, preparing to leave these shores for another year. They rattled their excitement and fed off bugs swarming round a huge holly bush.

I thought I would go down to the Dip, to snap it for the fan club, and was passed by a van delivering Amazon packages, using it as a short cut. The van, an Astra, was at least 15 years old, I didn't think it would make it through the deep ruts of dried mud.

A short walk But did.

I snap it bumping up the other side, struggling to Otty Bottom Road.

A short walk I turn for home.

And saw no butterflies. To snap, anyway.

I return home and cool down with some squash.

For lunch a make a batch of Norfolk Short Cakes, and decde I should have a large one (fnar) for lunch.

Too big, so I have indegestion all afternoon. Keeps me awake, anyway.

I finish work, pack up and prepare dinner. I make shepherd's pie with leftover lamb from Sunday, and mixing in the berry jus and an onion under the horseradish infused mash, topped with cheese.

It was magnificent, comfort food, though a winter dish, not something at the end of a hot autumnal Monday.

For the evening there is football, Brighton v Chelski, but it is drab stuff, I go to bed at half time with Chelski a goal to the good.

I slept well.

No comments: