Sunday 25 June 2023

Saturday 24th June 2023

We did so much yesterday, and yet so little of it that would provide a shot of the day.

Lots planned, so up with the larks, and after coffee, we went to Tesco to stock up, then to the butchers in Preston (Kent) only to find the main road in the village was blocked due to a new gas mane being put in. I parked as close as I could get and walked.

Back home for breakfast, then out, dropping Jools off in town, then I went along the A2 to Barham, then across to PGD, in the hope of finding Musk Orchids.

I had the whole site to myself for two hours. I walked to the right spot, and started looking.

And carried on looking.

And followed my more searching.

And at one, I gave up. By now the spikes should be easily visible, and yet I saw none. Maybe they're late due to the cold spring, I don't know.

One hundred and seventy five I did snap Fairy flax, which is the picture of the day, as well as snapping a mating pair of Meadow Browns.

But back home for a quick lunch of death by bacon, then baked a batch of short cakes, because at three we had been invited to a garden party at Walter's house, which is opposite ours.

Once baked and cooled down, we went over, once having changed, and found after 30 people there, various teas on offer, and an elderflower champagne cocktail. I had the latter.

But it was so hot, many were uncomfortable, but too polite to mention it. We stuck it our for 90 minutes, then made our excuses to home where we both had a long, cool drink of iced squash before relaxing, and the final act of the day: meeting Sean and Ange at what used to be Namaste at the Swingate, but is now called Chef de Mumbai as its under new owners.

Anyway, its a five minute drive for us, so needless to say we were late, and nearly hit head on by another car on the way as the guy seemed to lose concentration and had to do an emergency stop to avoid hitting us.

It was all over so quick, it was a "did that really happen" moments, but the smell of burnt rubber was in the air as we passed.

Sean and Ang arrived when we di, so we went in and were shown to our table, left the menu. All painless. We skipped a starter, a went straight for mains: all variations of lamb curry, rice and a naan. It was excellent. And all over by nine, so Jools and I drove home in the gloaming, to sit on the patio and watch bats do cartwheels trying to catch moths.

No comments: