Monday 19 June 2023

Sunday 18th June 2023

Sunday.

Last day of 12 days off, and a day in which we were expected to have heavy thundery showers all afternoon, so had better do something in the morning.

And after breakfast that something was to go to Sandwich Bay, because of Lizard Orchids and check on the Marsh helleborines.

Jools wanted to go swimming, so I said I'd drop her off at the pool on the way, as Sandwich is a 15 minute blast away, so the plan was set.

It was a cloudy start, so there'd be no butterflies or dragonflies, and Jools had found my pass for the estate which I had to exchange for a sticker, meaning free entry all year as long as I park at the observatory.

There was the Women's Open Gold tournament on, so for a while I thought I might not be able to get across the course, but turned out that was at the other links course.

Tragopogon pratensis Yay. I walked over the meadow and past the ringing area, and into the area of dune slacks at the Helleborines grow in. And at first I saw none, then once I got my orchid eye in, I saw hundreds of rosettes all around, some putting up a spike in the usual helleborine way.

Aglais urticae There were dozens of Southern Marsh around to, which I learned this week, along with the Northern Marsh, have had their species status downgraded to sub-species, that of Broad Leaved Marsh Orchid (Dactylorhiza majalis).

Confusing.

Anyway, from there I took the path across the three fairways of the golf course, dodging flying balls and dressed in ridiculous clothes of pastel shades, heading for the safety of the gate onto the Strand.

Himantoglossum hircinum On the way there were several Lizard spikes, and so more on the dunes beside the road. I snap many, but after a while was happy, so turned back for the car.

On the way back I saw another plant I had been looking for, Grass vetchling, a tall, willowy plant with a single pink pea-shaped flower, and being a windless day, was able to get a good shot of the flower.

Himantoglossum hircinum Back then to the observatory, and as the sun had come out, a few butterflies were seen: Large Skipper, Small Skipper, Small tortoiseshell, and a single Dainty damsel having ventured far from her pond.

I went inside to get a drink, and met with John who helped arrange our trip to Svalbard, and we swapped news of things I saw on the trip after the one he did. We were very lucky, as we saw seven bears, his cruise saw just the one, and no Beluga.

One hundred and sixty nine Time was slipping, so I bid him farewell, and drove back to Whitfield where Jools was having a coffee in Subway.

I found three orchids she said, so we went to look, and three tall CSO spikes were growing in the formal border in front of the self-storage place.

Himantoglossum hircinum We had to rush home, as Jen was back home, and back with Sylv, and we had been invited for Sunday dinner at one. So, we had to dash home so Jools could change, then drive to Whitfield to be on time.

Himantoglossum hircinum Once there we admired the new skylight Mike had installed because the old one leaked, and we swapped news of things we have done. We regaled them with tales of the frozen north, of course.

Himantoglossum hircinum Dinner was roast lamb, which was welcome, even if it was very hot in the house with both ovens going. We ate well, drank wine and made merry.

After eating, we could hear the rain falling, and we had left washing out on the line, so we made our excuses and went home.

The storm radar showed storms over Normandy, slowly drifting north and east, but slowly due to the light winds. We heard rumbles, but no storm arrived, though the rain did fall for hours.

We had butter fried asparagus for supper, before I watched yet more football: Spain v Croatia. Which isn't the last game of last season, as England play on Monday. And for those asking when the new season starts, I believe that to be Saturday when the preliminary rounds of the Champion's League start.

Crioceris asparagi sigh.

No comments: