Thursday 29 June 2023

Wednesday 28th June 2023

Just over two weeks ago, my friend Rob, passed away after a short battle with cancer.

He was 14 days older than me.The weather has all gone a but meh, if meh is still a thing. Wednesday started out bright but soon clouded over, and that was that.

Another friend, Mark, posted the other day that he had then lived one day longer than his father. Got me thinking, and if I see dawn on the 19th of July this year, I will have lived longer than my Father too.

"Uncle" John said a few years back, that he has a funeral suit, maybe I need one too?

On Monday I will travel to Ipswich for Rob's funeral, mourn a complicated life lived. There is a memorium page online created by the funeral directors where family and friends can make comments, or thoughts and post shots.

For all Rob's colourful life, there will be a webpage, that can be printed out. We have our memories, but the world carries on turning.

Not sure what I'm trying to say here, most of us are trying to live from day to day, and in the end hope we did more good than bad and that people will remember uswell. If at all.

Thanks to Facebook, I am a member of four groups featuring members of my former RAF trade, and each week one or two of the bretheren passes away. Most are about my age, some even younger. I guess this is what life is like now, being witness to the cruelty and efficiency of death.

RIP, Rob.



Wednesday.

The weather has all gone a but meh, if meh is still a thing. Wednesday started out bright but soon clouded over, and that was that.

So, from what a bright and almost sunny morning, turned into a cooler day, only brightening up again in the late afternoon, by which time the postman had brought me the latest WSC, so I sat on the patio with Scully and read that instead of going for that much delayed and promised walk.

Other than that, there is always work.

I am guessing these updates are quite dull when compared to those from three weeks back when we went looking for polar bears and the such north of Svalbard, but in order to do those things, I have to do work, like this.

Raspberry season I did speak to a recruiter, though. And he asked the question that in interviews, we all dread: what sort of pay would you want if something came along?

Do you pitch low, so low they might think you don't know what you're talking about, or too high to make you unemployable?

I thought for 30 seconds and gave a figure. I was asked to repeat it, which might not be a good sign.

Anyway, let's move on.

I walked round the garden later, snapping stuff for picture of the day, and came across a bee on the everlasting pea behind the shed. We got the pea as its the food plant of the Long Tailed Blue butterfly, and the only location they can be found in Kent is two miles away at Kingsdown.

One hundred and seventy nine Maybe we'll get one.

Or not.

The day ended, I read some, while Scully snoozed and snored on the table beside me.

Dinner was easy; Caprese again with the bread from the day before. And then reflect on the day afterwards.

No comments: