Sunday 30 July 2023

Saturday 29th July 2023

Saturday. And well, a kind of between seasons kind of day. There are orchids to seek out and snap, and there are churches to explore, but with a keen breeze and rain expected, coupled with the usual summer queues into Dover port meant we had little planned other than some hunter/gathering at Tesco. We got just two bags of stuff, and yet it came to £88, fifteen of which was for the bottle of limoncello, but even still, that's still a lot. It seems not that long ago that a light shop like that would have been about £30. Inflation maybe be falling, but that just means that prices are increasing less slowly. Back home where we have breakfast, coffee and second breakfast of bacon butties, when the bell goes at the front door. It was Kay from next door, asking if we wanted a cucumber from their crop, as they had been snowed under somewhat. I I took it, the vegetable weighed 2.2 pounds, and was a whopper.

I thought I could make some Tzatziki. Only problem was a lack of Greek yogurt, and either mint or dill.

No problems, I would go into Deal, even though their carnival was on. I had checked the traffic, it looked OK.

Jools came too, and we drove into town, past the fair on Walmer Green, by the bandstand, not get going, so the rides were in sleep mode.

We found a place to park, then wondered where would be best to go. We decided on Sainsbury's, so across the main street, and to the station where it was busy with more hunting/gathering going on.

They had mint but no dill, so made do with that, got yogurt, and we were done. Waiting at the till took longer.

Back to the car and out of Deal, into Walmer, and a detour to The Berry where they had a beer festival.

Beer festival!

I had been rather tempted by the pint you see here: ice cream porter, and once I had got a pint from the bar in the cellar, we went to the courtyard and at at a table in the shade, and supped.

Two hundred and ten It was a mighty pint, doubly so at only 4.5%.

We order a burger and fries from the chap who supplies them at the pub, and I refill my glass with a pint to Hobson's Mild, which was good, but the flavours of the porter somewhat overpowered it.

The burger came, which we made vanish, by which time I had drunk enough, so Jools drive us home, getting back in time for me to follow City's final pre-season game, the cricket and fall asleep on the sofa with Scully.

Who says men can't multi-task?

I made the Tzatziki, which we ate smothered on slices of bread along with the Spanish meat I had gathered in Tesco.

All rather yummy.

And that was Saturday.

No comments: