Saturday 10 December 2016

Friday 9th December 2016

Five years ago, a colleague of mine was driving home from work, nothing unusual in that. It was also a windy day, but in Denmark that isn't unusual either. A gust of wind took her car from one side of the road to the other and into the path of a truck. Nothing she could do, and she didn't make it. Last year, another colleague of mine had a stroke, Lee didn't make it either. And now another has had a heart attack and just managed to pull through. I suppose why I am writing this is that none of us know what lies in store for us, that today could be our last, and we might not have another chance to tell a dear friend that we think the world of them.

However, I plan to be around for many years, well if there is anything I can do about it.

Just to let you know.

And anyway, there is so much to see and do next year, heck, if the reaper calls, I won't answer!

Friday was going to be another one of them days. One of them days when IT was not going to work. My company, or rather my employer, is replacing SAP with Microsoft Dynamics AX. Its not going well, but one hopes things will be better in time. I have been waiting a month to clear some of my travel claims. The claim computer is sending me mails about how much I have on the company credit card; what can I do, the other week it told me I did not work for the company!

So, another day talking to IT.

Jools had the day off work, and had chores to run; barnet mangle, shopping at Tesco and so on. Whilst I stay at home, reading and writing mails, moving documents about and so on.

I was about to give up for the week, when IT call: Have you tried switching it off and back on again. A reboot in other words. NO I hadn't, well, I do and it makes things work. So I sift through eight weeks of travel, allocating receipts to reports. I will see if i cna get away without scanning them and sending to head office. See if they notice.

Anyway, it is four in the afternoon, the Lamaq show has begun on the radio, which means it is the weekend. Jools is going to the chippy, so I have no cooking to do, just butter some bread and make sure the kettle is hot when she comes back so I can make a speedy brew. Fresh and crispy fried cod from the newspaper wrapping, over salted and vinegared chips and finally, a huge brew.

Lovely.

Little did I know that an allergy attack was brewing. Well, it had been bubbling all day, but as the evening went on it got worse, so by the time I went to bed I could not breathe through my nose. Yuk. I toss and turn for two hours, then give up and come down to the living room to work on the computer and drink some rum. One rum. Two rums. Three runs. Probably a forth and fifth. I go back to bed and sleep deeply and I guess snore sloudly.

No comments: