Thursday 8 December 2016

Sunday 4th December 2016

A day which I try my hardest to make putting up a washing line, if not take all day, then most of the morning.

But first there is coffee. The football. And then bacon.

As is usual, even on a fine and sunny Sunday morning, nothing stops for football, and after the first coffee, I take to the sofa to watch the highlights of Saturday's games, pausing halfway through to make breakfast bacon butties, then sitting on the sofa, munching and getting coated in melted butter.

We clear up breakfast things, get dressed, then take out the new retractable washing line, which is to replace the rotary one we have used since moving in. All we have to do is drill two screw into the post, fit the mechanism, and two hooks on the post at the other end of the garden. Job done. Or would have, if I had not wound the screw all the way into the post, then almost rounded off the head in trying to get it out. I tried most of our screwdrivers, and then the heads on the new power driver we have.

It wasn't until I get the steps out, climbed up and put all my weight in forcing the best screwdriver (one for Sunday best) into the head, and turning it fraction by fraction until is was out far enough to get the mounting behind the head. That done, I put in the 2nd screw and whizz away. It is done. At last.

A 5 minute task which I managed to make last over an hour. But I have done it, the washing can be hing out to dry, and time for a brew.

After lunch there is FA cup football on TV, which becomes fascinating, so I take to the sofa to watch, drink coffee and eat chocolate. Seems to be the perfect afternoon for me.

There is more Prem football later, but by tat time I am preparing dinner; lamb chops, fried potatoes and steamed vegetables with a cream sauce instead of gravy. And a delight it is too. But by this time it is dark, time for the weekly short call to Mother, then get ready for a week away.

Sadly, during the day I had had a shave, and being allergy free risked some aftershave. By late evening, I had an allergy attack, and found breathing difficult, but sleep did come during the night, but it wasn't good. Still, there's always Monday to look forward to.

No comments: