Sunday 4 December 2016

Saturday 3rd December 2016

On the 21st July 2009, I visited a church at Postling, and little did I know that one simple visit and photos taken would lead me to the Kent Church Odyssey, and over 260 churches later, 5300 shots taken, I would, after some trials and tribulations, finally complete the listed churches in the Dover Deanery. I had been to Hougham on at least two occasions; the first before I started at the Box Factory in 2010, and the second during the Heritage Weekend last year when instead of just having the church open, it was open for Houghfest, and the inside of the church was covered in blankets and carpets that locals had made.

Before I tried another time, I had to get up, go shopping, got o Preston, pick up the hire car. In short, get the chores out of the way first.

I drop Jools off at esco to do the "big monthly shop", and I go to Preston to see some mean about some meat. Long story, but they would like some beer from Belgium, and need me to go over this week to collect the cash. And again next week to drop the booze off. Anyway, it is a fine morning, once the sun is up, and despite it being December, still feels autumnal. Thanks to the heavy rais Friday night, the roads are covered in mud, and so the recently cleaned car is soon splattered with mud and so mostly brown.

St Laurence, Hougham Without, Dover, Kent December has arrived so the book on Christmas orders has closed, and they are enjoying the calm before the storm, then week before Christmas when they will be working 15 or 16 hours days. But even now, with the hundred new homes in the village, business seems to be good, good enough to employ four butchers, hacking and cutting. I pick up some lamb chops for Sunday dinner whilst i was there, collected the cash in a brown envelope, then drove back to Dover to collect Jools with the shopping from Tesco, then go home to unpack and have breakfast of freshly baked croissants and another coffee.

Jools then takes me to the docks to collect the hire car, meeting back at home so I can then take our car and go to Hougham. This is the final listed church in the Dover Deanery I have to snap. There are other less interesting church, but churches nonetheless I will visit.

St Laurence, Hougham Without, Dover, Kent St Laurence is situated on a down between Dover and Capel, and the village is dominated by the TV mast which beams us all TV and radio in the area. You approach the village up steep and narrow lanes from the Old Folkestone Road, or from River in Dover, and the church itself is in the middle of Church Hougham, down a dead end lane.

St Laurence, Hougham Without, Dover, Kent Unlike on previous visits, the door was unlocked so I dd not have to find a keyholder. The lightswitch beside the door lit just a single bulb above the doorway to the porch, but on a bright winter day, the church was full enough with light.

It was clear that the south wall of the chancel is leaning out at an alarming angle, but in fairly recent times, a buttress has been built to save it from falling. I am joined by a man and his wife with a walking frame; she is to sit inside whilst he takes their dog for a walk. I am nearly done with my shots, but she watches me and smiles.

St Laurence, Hougham Without, Dover, Kent Outside I take the final shots, and a gentleman living next to the church points out some interesting gravestones, the details of which he gets wrong, but shows I should look around more from time to time.

St Laurence, Hougham Without, Dover, Kent I go back home, as it is nearly dinner time, and then there is radio to listen to, football to keep track of, and then look at the shots I have taken. And there is the fountain too.

The Fountain of Chinz Fountain?

Yes, fountain.

fountain A few years ago, we bought a steel fountain which we planned to put in the garden, if only we could agree where to put it. And that was the situation until we had the landscaping down, and now it is finished, we can play with the fountain. I suppose there was the chance it might not work now.

But after getting out the base, the lights, the main part, connecting it all up, filling up the tank with water. And then switch on.

And we had action. Just a shame it was too cold to sit in the garden to admire it, but we leave it going with the intention of going back after dark to look at it.

Back in the house, the football had begun, and City were 2-0 up already. We went on to win 5-0, and are world-beaters again. Well, not quite, but you know how fickle we supports are.

I roasted some jacket spuds to go with the chili we could not find room for in the freezer, and the two go together in a wonderful way. A meal fit for a king. Or Jelltex anyway.

Late in the evening, as I watched the highlights of City's win on Channel 5, I try the rumtopf which has been maturing in the earthenware jug for months. Good news is that it is wonderful, tastes very much of raspberries, but in a good way. Will enjoy drinking more over the festive period.

No comments: