Monday 19 December 2016

Sunday 18th December 2016

Yes, Sunday.

And, well, not to put too fine a point on it, I kinda wasted it. I did some stuff, the usual stuff. And some new stuff, but basically, did not go out of the back garden, lazed around and listened to the radio. Which, upon reflection, is OK.

In truth, I feel work out, worn out to the point of breaking. It has been a long year, with lots of travel, some of it private, but most of it, 35 times, because it was required by work. I could have delegated some of those, but for the most part, I could not. At least with working in Belgium, I am able to get back home in under four hours, generally. The hotel is good, and I have people not only I work with, but can relax with in the evening. But it is still away, and even the one hour time difference makes a difference as I find myself getting up an hour earlier. And, by my own choice, living on UK time so I can keep up with football matches either on TV or via Twitter, I get an hours less sleep a night, sometime less than that. Urggh.

Enough of my whinging, I have been through worse, as I suppose you dear reader have too. Yes, pity me because i live in hotels and eat in restaurants. And watch and listen to football. Silly me.

Anyway, after getting up at six to find what the world is up to, I settle down to watch MOTD as usual, and being up at six for a change, I watch the whole darn thing before getting off my backside to make breakfast, which is bacon butties, of course.

Backyard Fungi Safari Jools does stuff in the garden, and after washing up, I make cranberry jelly for next weekend, so it can be frozen then defrosted ready for the big day. And I don't really like cranberry sauce, but made it anyway. So, I added the berries to the wine I had warmed up, added sugar and spices, and let the heat do its work.

Backyard Fungi Safari In the wood pile at the end of the garden, we have at least eight species of fungi growing in the remains of the tree we have cut down over the years. I take photos by I fail to be able to identify most of them. But more wildlife in our garden!

Backyard Fungi Safari Smoothies and mince pies for lunch, which is a fine lunch if you ask me, all the main food groups catered for there, and then football on the radio, with me taking the DAB to the bedroom to listen to the game, and then mostly failing to stay awake with the commentary on. I am sharing the bed with Scully, who find that if she arches her back and stretches she can just reach my arm to wake me up so I can stroke her head. Keeps me awake, I suppose.

Backyard Fungi Safari As Arsenal choke yet again, this time against Citeh, I cook dinner, bangers and mash and beans. Which is as old school as it gets, but is also reassuring. The mash is seasoned with smoked slat and freshly ground black and red pepper, but otherwise, old school.

Backyard Fungi Safari Talking of cooking, we are addicted to Rick Stein's Weekends Way series, and spend the evening with him in Lisbon, eating shellfish and drinking wine, which is a pretty good way to spend the evening. I will buy the book, so I can tempt you with exotic recipes in the new year. You have been warned.

No comments: