Thursday 22 December 2016

Wednesday 21st December 2016

The year is getting really old now. Just ten days of it remain, and most of us hope the hate and fear and all round dreadful news will end. It won't of course, but a new beginning brings fresh hope. I hope.

Jools leaves for work once again before seven, and yet daylight is over an hour yet away. I do the washing up, take the rubbish out, and generally tidy up. And so I am ready for work at half seven, ready for the first meeting, which is how I spend most of the next four hours. In an out of meetings, trying not to blurt out profanities at some new revelation of incompetence.

As Jools is going to be collecting lunch on her way home after midday, it means I have to try to snack during the morning, or even have an early lunch before we have the second.

The morning passes, midday comes and goes, and me and my hunger wait for Jools to come home. Every time a car goes up the road, I think it is her and the rolls she said she would pick up.

At one she arrives, and I make rolls with the left over mini breaded fillets left over from last night's dinner. Simple and easy, and yet rather wonderful. In the afternoon, over more tea and the remainder of the mince pies, we gegin to watch the new Scandic noir show on the i player; Modus. Like most of these shows, the first three episodes we watch through the day make little sense. Murder, mystery, family secrets and more murder.

I'm sure they'll be happy endings come the final part.

I go out to check on the fungi and put stuff away from the garden. We have yet more fungi, and those that were there at the weekend are larger and pluper. Not sure whether any can be eater, but I am happy looking and photographing them.

Darkness falls at its earliest possible, bringing to an end the shortest day. From now on light will triumph over darkness, until June when roles are reversed.

Jools goes out for sausages and chips, which seems to be the easiest thing to have. She comes back an hour later with tales of heavy traffic and long queues at the chippy.

More Nordic Noir followed until nine, by which time we were noir'd out.

But Jools has finished work for the year, and, for me, well, tomorrow is another working day.

3 comments:

nztony said...

10 Rillington Place on Iplayer is well worth a watch too.

jelltex said...

I didn't think you could still watch the i player, or is on NZ TV?

nztony said...

I guess having to put your UK Television licence number into Iplayer was technically to difficult, so now you are given two choices:
"I have a TV Licence" and "I do not have a TV Licence" so you can guess which one I clicked and much to my surprise it works again!
(I only found out last week.) Incidentally I'd very happily pay a monthly fee to access it, that equated to the amount of your yearly licence fee.