Saturday 25 March 2017

Friday 24th March 2017

Last day of the week, and with much to sort out, and later I have an appointment to pick up some new glasses. So, lots to squeeze in before I set off.

I mention the forecast many times, and so we plan our days around that. And despite the start of the day being dull and cloudy, it was supposed to perk up.

Before I had even finished my first coffee, I was on the phone talking to my minions in Belgium, trying to make sure that things got straight. And as I was already working, best start the computer up, and sort out the e mails and make sure the world wasn't falling in. Again.

Walk into Dover And, with it being a Friday, suddenly troubles melted away, and a way forward was found. I briefed everyone, and that was done.

Phew.

I had better make more coffee and have breakfast.

Walk into Dover My word, I feel good. So good, I decide to walk into town rather catch the bus, which I have never done from the village. Anyway, with my back playing up, was I asking for trouble? Probably.

I have a meeting to run, and even that goes well. All are aligned, so happy with that, I log my working hours and sign off.

Walk into Dover Friday came round, and I have to get into town to pick up some new glasses. I have the choice, either to walk, or catch the bus.

Although it was grey this morning, the forecast was for sunshine by lunchtime, so I took a chance.

There is just one safe way to walk into town, which just happens to be off the meter scenic, along the cliffs.

Walk into Dover Considering a week or so ago, I struggled to walk back from the village shop, to walk into the village, through the churchyard, over Reach Road, through the estate, over the fields, through the woods, past South Foreland Light to the cliffs.

Walk into Dover That alone was longer than the walk back from the shop.

Spring has arrived in East Kent, flowers in gardens and in the woods. Primroses, Grape Hyacinths, and other wonders all coming into bloom. And as I make my way through the woods after crossing the fields, the branches of the trees are full of birdsong. I get a glimpse of a Goldcrest before it flies away, but then it is replaced by half a dozen Long Tailed Tits, all chirping away to each other. I could have got my camera out, but just happy enough to watch them.

Walk into Dover I arrived at the cliffs to see three people messing around taking pictures on the cliff edge: photographic opportunity!

Along the cliffs, with the north easterly wind at my back, blowing me towards Dover. And as I walked, the clouds thinned and what was weak sunshine became a glorious spring day.

No better place to be than on the cliff tops.

Inbetween Langdon Cliffs and the Fan Bay Shelter, the National Trust have laid a path, looks more like a scar to be honest. But sadly needed, due to the added footfall along the cliffs with people visiting the shelter, causing erosion.

Walk into Dover Once at Langdon, instead of taking the direct path, I go round Harbour Filed, then down the old railway track leading to the Cliff Road.

Once out of the north wind, it feels warm, certainly too warm to need a jacket, and on either side of the path, spring flowers were already in bloom.

Walk into Dover On the Cliff Road, the sound of the busy port could be heard, and a peak over the cliff showed it working hard as usual, but no traffic getting of a ferry, but plenty more arriving.

From there it was a climb to the NT place, before making my way to the steep steps down to East Cliffe, passing a young Goth couple who found that dressing in all black wasn't a good idea.

Walk into Dover Finally, down through East Cliff, avoiding the traffic on Townwall Street, I make it tot he town centre, managing to take a few shots of the St James Development, as construction above ground continues apace.

I walk up Biggin Street to the optician, I do not have to wait, they fit first time, so I am in and out in under 5 minutes, with over two hours to kill before Jools would collect me. What else was there to do in town? THere is no other answer other than go to the Rack of Ale.

Walk into Dover Trish is inside, we greet each other with a hug, and she plies me with ale, which is nice. And I share with her the dregs of the Rumtopf. She liked that, and I also liked her ale, which was nice.

I sneak out to the nearby chippy for some chips, which go well with the beer, and as is usual, there is a great mix of other people in the Rack, and we chat and so the time passes quickly.

Thankfully, Jools rescues me just after three, dragging me kicking and screaming back to the car so she can take me home. It is a glorious end to the day, long shadows reach over the land, and the setting sun casts everything in wonderful golden light.

I have to cook, and it is boiled chicken with bacon and rice, as ever it comes out well. And considering the three pints I had supped, it came out well, even if I had forgotten to put in the bacon at first.

It is Friday, Monty night, so by eight, we are on the sofa waiting for the news from the world of gardening. And that was the end of the day, I had achy legs, and Jools was worn out from the working week, but the weekend had arrived and we planned to spend the next eight hours of it, snoozing.

No comments: