Thursday 2 March 2017

Tuesday 28th February 2017

Another day in paradise. Living the dream.

I wake up at half six, having managed to find the alarm function on my new phone, there is some strange flashing light going on and off outside, I vow to investigate, but not right away.

I have a shower, get dressed and am down at the door to the breakfast room by seven, ready for when it opens, ready for another day at the coal face. Fruit and yoghurt followed by stick break with sprinkles and lots of fresh coffee.

And outside, it is getting light, the long dark days of winter seem to be drawing to an end, and with it being a holiday week here in Belgium, traffic is light, so the drive to the office is nearly pleasant. I am the second one in, so get the parking space nearest the office door, which is nice. So I get the choice of desks in the quality office, but then I am the manager so I could pull rank I suppose.....

And right away there is a fire to put out. And then another. What is it with people. Anyway, after some thought, I sort both out, and feel really quite smug about things.

Outside the rain hammers down again, meaning the dirty tabbers shelter under the tent outside, getting their fix whilt the wind tries to rip the tent off its moorings. All I can say smoking must be great to do it under those conditions.

The day ends in golden sunshine, of course, and another early stack due to another day going by with no offshore work to file paperwork for. Which is nice.

The plan is to go back to the bar for more beers and a drink, so we gather outside the Kursaal at six, walk along the street then turn down the alley to the bar. We claim a booth by the window, and select our first beers before moving onto the food choice.

Golden Spoor We have a great night, I mean it was just so darn enjoyable; good food, good drinks and great friends, all making jokes, laughing and so at times like this I realise how lucky we all are to be living a life such as this. Over the last 18 months I have put in the hours, so I think the occasional night in a bar, drinking silly strong Belgian beer is deserved. I am a manager so I tell myself this is the case, which makes it so, really.

Chimay Grande Reserve 2015 Jesper and I share a bottle of Chimay Grande Reserve 2015, and it is a fine beer to end the evening on. I try getting the last few drops out after we had drained the bottle between us.

The night was done, all that was left was to walk back to the hotel, dodging the raindrops, crash on the bed, listen to some radio before sleep took me before half ten. Phew.

No comments: