Thursday 16 March 2017

Tuesday 14th March 2017

I have been neglecting some of my team on the project, so instead of spending a day in the office, I went to drive to Esbjerg to meet up and pat some backs, generally spreading some love.

Tis involved a 90 minute drive on Denmark's crowded motorway network, but with luck I would be traveling in the opposite direction to most of the traffic.

After breakfast, I put my bag and my backside in the Audi, set it to drive and put my foot down. Down through the main residential area, over the railway then out to the suburbs before turning onto the main road out which lead to the motorway.

It was already light, and after some early fog, the skies cleared and the sun came out. I was right with the traffic, so sitting in my large car, driving at the speed limit, I motored down the E45 before turning off on the motorway west to Esbjerg. That road was very quiet, and so driving was enjoyable, the car was like sitting in an armchair. Along the way I saw two buzzards and a large brown eagle sitting ether on a fence beside the rad, or in a tree. The eagle was huge, but he wasn't bothered by the nearby traffic. I saw hom and was passed before I realised what it was.

Seventy one Work is paused in Esbjerg, work on my project is just about complete, and there is a gap before the other one has their vessel back in port. Many people were on training courses, so the offices empty and quiet.

I do slap backs and even go out to buy celebration cakes; four of them, so all can have a slice of success. Cake is the way Danes celebrate, you buy cake if its your birthday, a baby is born, or maybe just because its Tuesday.

So, all is good. I stay for six hours, have meetings and its all good. I leave at two, in order to beat the traffic back in Arhus.

Once again traffic is light so I can put my foot down and make good time, so good in fact I am back parking the car outside the hotel by half three, having time to go to my room, catch up on yet more mail and listen to the radio.

I arrange to meet Anni and B at six, so we meet in the bar of the hotel, have drinks and chat about life. Always good when a business trip turns into a social one! And at half seven, my colleague Chris comes down, we bid farewell to Anni, and we go out to find food, knowing that by then the smokehouse would have plenty of seats.

I order pulled pork which I cover with home made sweet and chili sauces, and I have to say, its darn good. We know the owner so we talk a lot as there are no other customers, rush hour having been and gone.

All that is left is to walk back up the hill, past ArOS to the hotel, where I decline a nightcap and go to my room to watch more football; Leicester winning to go through in the CL.

No comments: