Sunday 26 March 2017

Normalising extremism

A short post, but I think an important one.

Yesterday, someone I follow, the editor of a railway magazine, retweeted a Meme which had originated from Britain First. Britain First is a far right organisation, populated by knuckle-draggers and the such. But the meme, "retweet if you love British Traditions" wasn't obviously racist. And yet it came from a racist organisation.

I tweeted to home that I was disappointed he had done so.

"I'm Sorry?" he replied.

Retweeting something from Britain First. Disappointed.

His last word on the issue was "I support British Traditions". So he clearly felt, the editor of a national magazine, and using the Twitter account for that position, saw nothing wrong in retweeting something from Britain First. Maybe I'm being over-harsh. But I don't think so, if we give these bottom dwellers oxygen of publicity, even by retweeting them, they become normal. Hide the fact that they are racist.

If we we racism, sexism, homophobia, religious intolerance, or whatever, we should call it out for what it is, not to ignore it, or retweet it.

No comments: