Thursday 30 March 2017

Monday 27th March 2017

Pay Day

And I am back on my travels, or as much as a three hour drive to the tunnel and up through Pas de Nord and Belgium can be said to be travels.

It is dawn again when the alarm goes off, but will mean it will be light into the evening. So, anyway, let's get it done.

Eighty four While Jools feeds the cats and makes coffee, I pack my small case, and double check my work bag to make sure I have passport at least, and I can drink the coffee and look at what frightening things the world has been up to. Jools is nearly ready to leave for work at seven, and for a change with no football to catch up on, so am I. Does this mean that I put watching football before work? I'm saying nothing.

The car is loaded, I am ready, I even have my lightweight coat, as it feels like spring; the sun is up, there is a gentle breeze and feels warm. Or, if not warm, it will get warm later. I was able to snap another sunrise shot, as when we got up, the house was shrouded in fog, but once the sun was up, it began to melt away.

On the way to the tunnel, there was more mist and fog, but not enough to slow me down. There had been a ferry just docked, as the roads were, not jammed with trucks, but the slow lane was very slow, and those of us in cars tried to get past, impatient as ever. At the tunnel I check in and go through immigration. Is this your car? No. No? It's a hire car. The guy is satisfied and dies not ask to see proof, which they never seem to.

The Singing Ringing Clock I can drive straight onto the train, parking up and getting out to stretch my legs. There is a short delay, safety messages are made, and we're off. As I always say, this is such an unremarkable thing, driving onto a train in Folkestone, the train then going into the cliffs and then under the seabed to France, and us emerging to be able to drive straight onto the motorway. I mean, just think of how amazing that last sentence sounds! You can even get a mobile phone signal down there too.

Spring in Oostende Off the train at the other end, drive onto the motorway, to leave it again two junctions later to go to the wine warehouse for some supplies. It had been four weeks since I was last here, and I had just two bottles of beer left in the fridge at home. Best stock up good.

Spring in Oostende Once I had loaded up my car, back onto the motorway for a blast up to the border, then up to Oostende, taking just over an hour. I suppose the most amazing thing was just how quiet the roads were, a few tucks and other cars, but I was able to hammer along at the speed limit, just enjoying the day, able to look at the signs of spring on either side of the road, and passing all the familiar landmarks.

Onto the A10 and in a few minutes into town, taking the road to the office, arriving at ten past eleven, having time to get up to date with work before lunch is prepared, and so some reason there is steak to eat. Salad is made, just need a good bottle of red, but no, make do with water.

Spring in Oostende At five I leave the office and drive to the hotel, finding one last parking space, checking in and going straight back out with my camera for a walk. On the way in I had seen a park which was planted with thousands of daffodils, in fact all the way back from the office, the verges, medians and roundabouts were all thus planted, and a riot of colour. Makes it all look very pleasant indeed.

Anyway, I walk past the two rows of shops between the hotel and the park, then round the ornamental lake, reveling in the reflections and colours. I sit on a bench for a while to take it all in, and then remember that my colleague was here to carry out an audit. I call him up, and we arrange to meet on the promenade, as they were hungry, and well, it was time to eat. So, I wander back to the Kursaal, then along the prom until I see Soren and Flemming.

From there it was a few minutes to find the bar, we get a table, order beers and study the menu. It all looks good, the other two had given up studying the folder listing all the beers, I mean once you get beyond ten there is really too much choice, and most Belgian beers, dark, light, dubbel, tripel, lambic, and so on. The pick one each from the draught list and are happy.

The food is good, I have Ardennes Balls, which is tasty. Meat balls. In sauce. And more beer.

And that is it, a walk back to the hotel, a shower and then relax in time for bed.

No comments: