Thursday 16 March 2017

Monday 13th March 2017

We are both awake before the alarm goes off at quarter to five. No idea why our brains does stuff like that, but there you go, Scully is curled up snoring gently beside me, so I lay for a few minutes listening the the beginning of the dawn chorus.

We have an hour to get ready, and get it all done, even washing up. So at ten to six, I climb into the car with just a rucksack containing computer, mouse, leads two changes of clothes. Hope I have everything.

It is just two minutes down the hill to Martin Mill, time to get a ticket and then wait in the half light on the platform, looking up the line to the bend where the train would be arriving from. I see light reflected in the rails, and the Javelin comes into view, cruising to a halt beside we few passengers. I get a seat, then find that my phone is dead, I use the socket between the seats to charge it.

As we left Dover, the sun rose, and soon there was full light. Since my last trip to Denmark, snowdrops had grown, flowered and were now dying off in Sandling Wood.

Seventy The train was full by the time we left Ashford, most people looking at recorded TV shows on their tablets or phones. I look out the window as the countryside is waking up after its winter slumber, always something to see in the fields or hedgerows.

The train disappears into the North Down Tunnel, out the other side. We zoom over the Medway, slowing to stop at Ebbsfleet before moving off again, diving under the Thames and going into Essex. I get off at Stratford, I have even more time without bags to check in, and I have a PDF of my boarding pass on my phone too, s I can stop for breakfast, read my mails and answer some.

BA 8210 I take the DLR, which is soon packed on a Monday morning, on a Monday when some trains are not running because of strikes. Getting off at the airport, I go straight to security, but have to wait in line 20 minutes until I get my spot, placing my bag on the tray to be scanned.

And now the waiting, over two hours before the flight was due, I have some work to do, find a desk to work from, connect to the free wifi and get on with it. All done in 20 minutes.

Greenwich The flight is called, and 15 of us go to the gate to be further checked in, then allowed onto the shuttle bus for the two minute run to the distant slot.

As we taxi to the piano keys, I take shots, and continue as we accelerate down the runway, launching into the blue sky, then being treated with views along the river and over the city as we bank north and then north east. Crossing the motorway at the A12 junction, then continuing north east until we fly just south of Ipswich before crossing the coast and striking out for the frozen north.

Taken with the BIG tripod Breakfast is served, so I accept it, it is free after all, and will do for my lunch.

As we near Denmark, it clouds over you won't be surprised to hear. But once through the clouds and on final, it seems bright enough. I am given an Audi SUV, Q3 or something. Perfect for me and my one bag!

It is bright, but cold. Some ten degrees colder here than home, and colours of the countryside less vibrant too. Still, even DK will get spring. One day.

The County Town of Suffolk I know the road, so just settle into the car, find some music to listen to, engage drive and off we, or I, go. To the motorway, then cross country to pick up the E45 to Ahus. I can testify that the car has plenty of horses under the bonnet, as I intended to use them all.

I arrive at head office in time for a meeting where I am told officially about my next project. Lucky me. There is time to meet friends and colleagues, swap news and jokes, and before I know it, they are going home, but I have work to do, so stay until 5, this also means missing the worst of the traffic, so I don't mind. And once fie comes, I go to the car, engage drive and go down the main road into town, beside the nearly completed tram line, then to near ArOS, to the hotel.

The rooms are all good here, I get my key and go to my room, put on the radio and lay on the bed, relaxing. Outside it is dusk, as the sun sets turning the city to orange.

I can't be bothered to look for dinner, instead I eat in the hotel; seafood platter followed by chorizo pasta; not sure if it worked, but it was OK.

There is FA Cup action on, but despite searching all 30 channels available on my room TV, I can't find the game, and I can't listen to the radio commentary either, unless I set up a proxy server. And I really can't be bothered. So, follow it on Twitter.

And at eleven, the game was done, as was I, so let sleep take me away.

No comments: