Tuesday 20 June 2017

Monday 19th June 2017

The endless summer continues.

We Brits do like to complain; its either too hot or too cold, or too windy or too wet; you get the picture. And its not that we really have extreme weather here; the occasional storm or snowfall from France notwithstanding. But, even after taking that into account, it has been too hot. Certainly at night, where sleep is almost impossible, and we wake up each morning feeling like we haven't slept. And each day seems to be longer and hotter than the day before, meaning that we have to water the garden; not a chore really as we love the colours and the results we have been getting, but I am feeling like we need a break.

And after saying all of that, I go out with Tony in the hottest part of both days for a tramp in the countryside. So I only have myself to blame really.

But Monday morning means back to work for Jools and I, back to the grindstone, well, for Jools this means a 45 minute commute in at least one direction such is the state of the roads around Dover. We are both awake at half five, thankful that we had something close to a full nights sleep, and ready to face the day.

Coffee, feed the cats, breakfast and then the final preparations before switching on the work computer to find that there are several program updates to install, and even some new programs. Oh this is going to be a joy. But it does mean that nothing can be done until the computer has finished, and restart is made. So, another coffee while I wait, and as I drink that Tony comes down and has to decide what to do with his day. Time is fast running out for him, just two full days left. He decides on a taxi ride into town and see about getting some of his stuff sent back home to save excess baggage on his return flight. He also has to arrange a taxi to the airport this end, and collecting once he arrives on the other side of the world.

He books a taxi to take him into town, also planned is a Strava walk, which ended up being 7km, ranging from the town centre along to the promenade, to the eastern docks, nback again and following the river to Morrisons to buy lunch before getting a taxi back home.

I carried on working, and during one of my frequent breaks, a walk int he garden revealed a mating pair of Azure Damselflies. On another trip out I snap a couple of males waiting for more rumpy, delicately balancing on blades of grass.

One hundred and sixty eight Once he was home, the plan was to walk into Kingsdown, instead of Walmer as I thought it would be too much in this weather, opting for the Zetland Arms rather than the Green Berry for an end of walk beer.

I opted to take just the compact camera, and ended up regretting it straight away as I found five Commas on the walk between the end of the road and the start of the fields; more than I have seen in the past two years. All looked fresh out of the cocoon and brightly coloured like you wouldn't believe. They were joined by a tatty Painted Lady and in the copse, many Skippers were about, and continued to be along the cliff edge once we got there.

Walk to Kingsdown We were again greeted by the pig in their copse, a little more distressed this time that we had no food, but they had plenty of water in their trough, so no worries. We walked on down to the bottom of the Dip and then the climb back up the other side. My back grumbled more than it had for some time, meaning I know I was holding Tony up, but I struggled on.

I made it to the top, so the walk to the start of the path across Bockhill Farm was easier. Off the road and over the fields, I realised it is probably nearly a year I had walked all the way to the monument, which came as a shock, as in the past we seemed to do it most weeks. Hmmm.

Walk to Kingsdown At the monument I paused on the bench, doing some stretching on my back, hoping it would get easier. Down we went, and I was amazed by the sheer number of pyramidal orchids; all shapes and sizes, and a range of colours, but no var. alba though. And butterflies; more Skippers and seven Marbled Whites out feasting. The orchids stretched beside the path all the way to the gate where Kingsdown begun, I so much regretted not having the macro lens, but there you go.

Walk to Kingsdown More pyramidals also on Kingsdown Leas, I stop to look at some, and the Marbled Whites when I could. Seems it was too hot even for golfers as the car park was empty, as was the fairways. We were treated to the fine view along the beach as we climbed down the cliff, all the way to Deal pier, but beyond was lost in a haze.

Walk to Kingsdown We walked across the gravel beach to the pub, texting Jools that she might like to pick us up. We get two pints of ice cold lager, I know, but perfect on such a hot and humid day. Tony surprises me by having a second, which shows how hot it was.

Walk to Kingsdown Jools arrives, she had guessed where we would be, but there is news; her Dad is in hospital with diabetes out of control, and is in a high dependency unit. She takes us home and goes off to the hospital in Ashford. The news is that he is getting better, but sugars are still too high.

Walk to Kingsdown In the event, I cook Tony and I chorizo hash for dinner, Jools would get a snack out, all put a bit of a dampner on things if I'm honest.

End of walk beer We are in the garden when she comes back, things looking brighter and he might be out in the morning now, but this was a serious wake up call for him.

We sit outside hoping to get cool. But it is humid, so humid that a mist begins to rise, meaning sleep will be difficult.

No comments: