Friday 30 June 2017

Thursday 29th June 2017

Another day, another dollar Or pound. Whatever.

Thursday, and the weather is grey, but due to improve, so much so a walk might in order come four o'clock.

One hundred and seventy seven Sadly, I have to report I am suffering a relapse with my arm/shoulder. In fact it really did not heal properly last year, and for the last week there has been a twinge which has got worse each day. To the point yesterday I had a stabbing pain in my shoulder blade, and what with not being able to lay on my right side now, I bit the bullet and booked an appointment for the chiropractor, sadly, not until next week. I only mention this as a reminder to myself that maybe I should have had this seen to before, but thought I could live with the restricted movement.

A walk to the butterfly glade Anyway, summer has arrived, and the garden is a riot of colour. Each morning more poppies have opened, and other flowers are bloomin' marvelous, and the air is full of buzzing and flapping insects, all trying to get some sweet nectar. We have do so much thus far, but more to do with more Yellow Rattle to get and now a meadow to sow this autumn.

Meadow Brown Maniola jurtina That said, it is Thursday, so put bins out, update meetings to be held and all the usual gubbins. The morning flashes by before I know it, or my stomach, and as normal I am having lunch by half ten as, you know, the food calls me telling me its there.

Small Copper Lycaena phlaeas Outside the clouds part and warm sunshine beats down, I look out and think I could be doing something else, like walking or snapping. But I carry on working until half three comes around, and I can finish for the day, grab my camera and go on a butterfly hunt.

There is an area at the end of the path which leads from the end of our road, near to where it joins with Collingwood, a glade, a small part of a field that has been left to go wild. It is dominated by Buddleia and Teasel, but many other wild flowers and plants grow, and feeding on them are a good range of butterflies; the showy ones feasting on the Buddleia now open, but Meadow Browns in among the long grass.

Common Blue Polyommatus icarus On the path before I get to the glade I see two Comma, great to see this once common species on the bounceback now after two or three really bad years. There are lest three more in the glade itself, along with Red Admirals and Peacocks up high on the Buddleia flowers, Common Blue and Meadow Browns in the grass, and even a Small Copper; the first I had seen there.

Large Skipper Ochlodes sylvanus But I am getting looks from two residents whose back gardens look onto the path, I say I am butterfly hunting, but they look on suspicious. Maybe if I said I was a burglar casing out their houses they might be happier. Anyway, I carry on with my search.

Comma Polygonia c-album An hour passes and I have half a dozen good shots, so turn for home as clouds begin to roll in from the west, and anyway, I need a brew.

Back home there is a welcoming committee of cats, all demanding not only to be fed, but be fed first. So, I do the usual routine, so I can then get on with peeling and preparing the aubergine for dinner, as only half got done last night, meaning freshly prepared and crispy ones tonight too.

I am just finishing when Jools arrives back home after another tough day at the coalface, but we can now relax, eat and listen to Desert Island Discs on the i player, and so the gentle evening begin. As it is the week after mid-summer, it stays light until nearly ten, but after several nights not sleeping well, I need to go to bed well before then, so, farewell, until Friday.

No comments: