Wednesday 21 June 2017

Tuesday 20th June 2017

Another hot and humid summer day, and one for which I am glad I do not have to go out in, as I have to work, and Tony is to go to Dover castle in a taxi, thus relieving me of going out with him. In fact, nothing would have given me more pleasure than to wander round the castle all day, but I am sure my boss and manager would have something to say about it.

There is plenty for me to do, mainly start to compile an Excel spreadsheet with all the stuff I need for the new project.

Sadly, it was the hottest most humid night of the year, and I woke at half two, covered in sweat, and unable to stay in bed. I say to Jools I will go and lie on the sofa to try to get cool. Molly also thinks this is a spiffing idea, and joins me. I guess I might have dozed for an hour, but I am awake at four to see dawn creep over the land, causing the streetlight outside the house to blink off, and in the south the increasing light causing the sliver of old moon to fade.

I make a coffee and once made, go and sit on the patio to take in the coolness of the morning. All I can hear is birdsong, and all around our borders are full of bees and butterflies, already going about their business. Especially bside me, small grey bees are going crazy on the lavender bush we planted in a bot, going from tiny flower to tiny flower making sure there was no more nectar.

Jools gets up at half five and joins me outside, having breakfast and sipping coffee. She tells me the air on in her office is great, which is just as well.

I have a shower and almost feel human, but I know that by lunch I would be fighting the migraines off. Tony comes down just as I start work, so he does his morning chores, sorting through shots from the prevuous day, posting more and reading comments online.

Come hal nine, Tony has his taxi booked, gather the tools of his trade; phones to record the day and to trace his every step, and then is gone. Work carries on.

Indeed at lunchtime, my eyes can't focus and the flashing lights appear in my vision. I am done. I set an out of office message and head to bed, putting in earplugs to block out the noise of the outside world, and I think I got a good hour. But as the sun tacks westwards, its rays hit the windows in our bedroom, and I can feel it heat up. No more sleep at least until evening.

I have a huge glass of squash, and sit on the sofa with my eyes closed.

As it is Tony's last night with us, I said I would cook roast chicken with all the trimmings. I should have rethought that really, but at quarter past four I am putting the bird in the over, peeling the potatoes and the rest of the vegetables. It doesn't get hot until both ovens are going, and three of the rings, that pushes the temperature through the roof.

Tony comes back at quarter past five, Jools at quarter to six, and dinner is nearly done. I dish up along with the fresh Yorkshire Puddings dead on quarter past six, and I sit down, a veritable ball of sweat, but able to toast our guest with Jools, and we all soon demolish dinner, and the bottle of pink fizz opened for the occasion.

One hundred and sixty nine Cheers, Tony.

We sit outside until disk begins to fall, but we are all shattered, and make tracks up the stairs shortly after nine, hopeful of some serious sleep.

No comments: