Friday 2 June 2017

Tuesday 30th May 2017

It had to happen sometime, so it happened today; back to work.

And as there is a pile of stuff to do at home, I have to travel to Denmark to get my annual assessment and then take part in group character analysis. It would be funny if I were making that last part up. I think that's what it is. I had to answer a survey today in preparation; questions like, do I tolerate incompetence. Am I shy? And I am I people person? Do I look like a bloody people person I screamed at the computer scream. Everyone in the office turned round and stared.

But before we get there, I had to travel. Jools to take me to the station, train to London, DLR to airport and so on.It meant getting up at quarter to five, getting my stuff together, checking on my work stuff, only to find out later I left the lead from the computer in the living room. Not helpful.

One hundred and forty eight We have breakfast and then climb in the car for the two minute run to the station and we part. The ticket machine is broken, and the conductor's machine is also broken. I have to get one when I get to London, queue to pay for it, then put it in the automatic barriers and it is taken. I had the ticket for 15 seconds.

I have breakfast in the cafe, and exchange pleasantries with the young lady behind the counter. I have now confused her by switching from a large latte with gingerbread syrup and an extra shot to straight large Americano. She is still impressed with my commute to Denmark, makes a change from Denmark Hill I suppose.

THe expected chaos at the airport failed to happen, this was after the crashing of the computers at British Airways meant no flights took off anywhere over the weekend. But all good for me. I have 90 minutes wait, so find a quiet seat and read a magazine.

Flights are called, and people queue at the gate like they were trying to get out of Saigon on the last flight. I mean they all have reserved seats.

My flight is called, and sit behind the semi-famous Sandi Toksvig and her family heading home to the homeland, I guess.

I read some more, eat 2nd breakfast. Or is it 3rd, or maybe an early lunch. Or elevenses? Outside there is total cloud cover, and we only break through it about 50m from the ground, which is pretty normal. But it isn't raining, which is remarkable.

I am given a Mercedes C200 or something, I should know this stuff, but cars, you know, dull in the detail, but OK to drive. I'll take a picture tomorrow.

The drive to the office is OK, 45 minutes, flying up the motorway, not as many horses as the Audi last week, but still gives a satisfying roar when you put your foot down and it lurches off.

Only 145 e mails waiting, as the project is now finished, I have a few tasks, but there is one I have to do yesterday, if not sooner. I get mails, calls and messages about it. OK< I get the message.

I have arranged a meeting for when I arrive, but have not prepared, and have to make it up as we go on. Worked out well as it happened. Must do that more often, less preparation.

At five, the traffic is near sensible levels, so drive to the hotel, get the last parking space and in a turn up am not given the Presidential Suite, but the room next to it; so close.

In the evening I eat in the hotel restaurant; pulled beef burger: it wasn't a success. But there are fries and fried onions too, and ice cold beer too. Which means the plan to live life healthier on me travels bites the dust for another day.

Annual assessment tomorrow.

Woohoo.

No comments: