Tuesday 12 June 2018

Monday 11th June 2018

Bob, our neighbour, passed away on 20th May, and this was the day we were going to say goodbye to him. Jools had the day off, I had the morning.

We got up at half six, outside it was another cool and cloudy day.

After breakfast, Jools went out to look for some plants, and I logged on to work so I could get some stuff done. My mind wasn't on it, needless to say, but I kept at it until half twelve, at which point she came home laden with plants, and I could switch the computer off, so we could have lunch together.

Time was slipping away from us all the time, I go for a shave and a shower, then get dressed into what is my funeral gear, although no jacket required. Jools changed too, so at quarter to one we walked down the hill, and back up into the village, and with the sun breaking through the clouds, it got darn warm, and me in a shirt and tie, I soon began to glow.

One hundred and sixty one There were dozens of folks arriving, so we filed along with them, climbing up the steps to the church and taking a place on the north aisle.

A young lady sang as his coffin and the family entered the church, we stood in silence.

Hard much to say any more really, it comes to us all in the end, I suppose.

We sang three hymns, prayed and the vicar said the blessing, and Bob was taken out into the churchyard for his final journey.

We went over to the Cliffs Hotel opposite, although we knew few of his friends, though we knew Di, of course.

The afternoon passed, and we walked back down the hill to home and feed the cats.

And that was our day, really. We ate dinner, watched some sci fi, and the day passed.

Sleep well, Bob.

No comments: