Friday 1 June 2018

Wednesday 30th May 2018

I fell asleep as soon as my head hot the pillow, and four nanoseconds later, I started to snore, or so I am told. So bad was the snoring, three or them too their bedding and themselves downstairs for some peace and quiet.

I slept until four, when the poor bed and itching of countless insect bites brought me round. So I watched dawn break, the sun rise and shine through the trees outside the window.

My colleagues tossed and turned in the room, some snored. I could not get back to sleep, however.

I get up at half six to find others, red eyed, also about and one of the guys who works here, had made coffee. One cup, two cups, three cups. Slightly better.

At eight, we have breakfast and then start the second day with a debrief on the previous night’s insect fuelled madness.

We then have a logic puzzle to solve, as a competition, with no talking or communication allowed. Our team finished a very, very distant second. Out of two teams.

We finally have to come up with one thing we like about each of our colleagues, and one thing we don’t like. It was very much as hard as it sounds, and some of us ditched about saying things we think might offend the other person.

But we get it done, have lunch, and then, at two we were told that despite a final challenge having been set up outside in the silly humid outside, that was done to instil a further layer of pressure on us.

But that was it, we helped to tidy up, and we were free to go. The two of us who had a cars could leave as soon as we wanted, whilst the rest had to wait for the minibus to take them back to Aarhus.

I asked if anyone wanted a lift, and ended uip taking the Director back with me; we talked about life, Denmark, Brexit and stuff inbetween as I drove and tried not to have an accident. We drive through the town of Ry, which I see signposted form the motorway, and find if a a very pleasant place stretched out along the riverside.

We drive on the the motorway, then through the roadworks and into the city, he walking from my hotel to the bus station for a ride home. Me, I check into the hotel, wanting to lay down in air conditioned luxury, hoping that the cool air would take the heat out of the zillion stings and bites that were driving me mad.

One hundred and forty nine As expected, I lay on bed with the radio playing, and snooze for an hour, waking up at half six, have a shower and go down to the restaurant for beer, burger and fries. I did not have to cook any part of it, I did not have to clear up or wash up. Someone brought the fine food to me, and I felt sated.

Back in my room, I call Jools then listen to more radio until sleep took me from this world and finally stopped the itching.

No comments: