Sunday 8 August 2021

Crowded out

I have just watched the Coventry v Nottingham Forest game on TV. It was a good game with a last minute winner for Coventry.

But what struck me were the crowd shots.

I am not sure what the guidance is now, but about 1% of the crowd had masks on, there was shouting, singing, and when a goal was scored, much hugging of strangers.

I may not be a bight man, but this seems stupid to me. COVID is not over, and this brief window in the summer might give way to restrictions in Sepetember and October. Just like Johnson's "saving Christmas" cost us three months of lockdown and 60,000 lives lost. Actions today will have consequences, of course.

I have looked at the COVID data for today, the rolling totals of new infections is showing a slight increase, 1.9%, although hospitalisations is down.

But, who is getting hospitalised has changed, most are no unvaccinated and the young who are, of course, unvaccinated.

The Chancellor is saying "go back to the office or miss promotions." I don't know if he is aware of ISO 4500:2018 which means that employers have a duty of care to ensure that their workplace is fafe, and if there is any doubt about safety, then people will continue to work from home.

My employer is wanting for us to return to the office, although no one has explained to me how I am supposed to get to and back from Warrington to Dover each day.

We went out on Friday; the micropub we went to had everyone inside unmasked. We stood outside, and I don't think I would have felt safe inside with there being no distancing. Masks were needed in the theatre when moving about or at the bar, but at our distanced seats, we were OK to take the masks off.

What happens between now and the real end of COVID is unknown, but if there is another wave, more lockdowns and deaths, then that will be due to a failure by the Government, we mustn't let Johnson and co get away with murder, again.

Stay safe, peeps.

No comments: