Friday 14 October 2016

Monday 10th October 2016

Monday morning, and at half four, with it now being still the middle of the night. The alarm goes off, and we get up, feed the cats and make coffee. The usual stuff we do every day, other than it is earlier. Much earlier.

By the time we leave the house at then to six, there is light in the east, so dawn is coming. Just not yet.

I am standing on the platform at six, waiting for the train. I nod to other travellers, and in that nod is the expression of what are we doing going to work at this time, isn’t it dark, GETTING COLD ISN’T IT? And so much more, in a single nod.

Reflection on the tracks indicate the train is coming, we shuffle forward on the platform, and wait for the train to stop, getting on and spreading ourselves out to the ration of one person to two seats, as is the way.

Jet Washed The descent into Dover is in darkness, and as I am buying my ticket, I miss views over the rooftops to the harbour, but I know it was there.

It is getting light as we leave Ashford, the countryside emerging out of the gloom. Mist is rising on the Medway as we cross it at 125mph.

LCY I have calls to make in London, then up to the café above the station for breakfast, writing more mails, making more calls. More people watching. Odd how the richest people have the worse manners; something I saw on the plane later, no please, no thank you, just as though these people are there to do your bidding.

I have left a tip as well as passing the day with those behind the counter, asking how they were, and they asking me if I were going to Denmark again. Its nice making these connections, speaking to people.

Round the bend I take the train to the airport, and their system is down again, so I have to queue to check in the old fashioned way. But they are quick, only takes a few more minutes and I chat to the staff helping, including one who I speak to every time I go through LCY.

Upstairs it is mad, hardly any free seats, and the noise is bad, with several young children demanding access to the lounge or something. They are just tired so can cry about it, we just have to work though the itchy eyes and yawns.

City beside the river The flight is called, and I meet an old colleague from the Thanet days, we catch up and exchange news on what we are doing, and how we might help each other, which is nice.

We are allowed to board, and outside it is a grand sunny morning, ideal for snapping then! I am in my favourite seat, 8A, and so once strapped in and we are airborne, I get great shots of the airport and then of the city as we bank to the north then fly out eastwards towards the Essex Badlands before flying over the coast and northwards towards Holland and then Denmark.

Holland I have a second, or is it third, breakfast whilst we fly, passing over ships, windfarms and gas rigs before we see land below; the Friesian Islands, all at low tide and surrounded by huge sandbanks, making fabulous shots in the low water. I snap a few, then as we drop from cruising altitude, I prepare for the flyover of the harbour at Esbjerg, in case there are no clouds and I can get a shot of the turbines and installation ship.

Patchwork I was in luck, there was a gap in the clouds and the site is bathed in sunshine and so I get my shot, a snapshot of what I have been doing for the last year and how much we have achieved.

And then we are passed it, in cloud and normal service is resumed as the rain begins to fall, and the plane jumps around as we turn onto final approach.

Borkum, Germany Down safe, I resist the temptation to kiss the ground, I walk into the terminal, through immigration and after collecting my case to the car hire lace, where they have a fine Passat estate for me, all ready to go.

The drive to Esbjerg is down familiar roads, through light drizzle, but enjoyable enough. The car has more than enough power to enable me to get pact trucks and buses, and to the office in under 45 minutes.

Vole au Vont And when I arrive, the installation vessel towers over everything. In the words of my boss, this shit just got real.

I say hello to everyone, get a handle on the situation and take calls for a few hours, then at five, drive to the hotel where I can relax.

The rain pours down outside, so no walking to the Dronning Louise for me, instead I go down to the hotel restaurant, and having had no lunch, I tell myself I deserve burger, fries, onion rings and a dark beer. I have them anyway, and life feels so much better.

Upstairs back in my room there is football on, but I lay on my bed to watch the second half, and fall asleep. Waking up after the game had ended.

No comments: