Friday 21 October 2016

Wednesday 19th October 2016

I wake up just before my alarm, it is ten to seven, still dark and the room is cold. Perfect.

For some reason I think I am late, so rush round getting ready before going down for breakfast, and find there is a massive bowl of strawberries and another of blueberries. So I have a lot of both, and some yoghurt, then find that the coffee machine is broken.

ARGH!!!!!!!

But there is another on the other side of the room. Panic over. There are just two other tables taken, I look at them and try to guess why they are here. Well, the family with two young daughters are easy I suppose, an out of season break. Better than work, I don't doubt.

A quick drive to the office, after getting the car out of the garage, still a challenge with those tight corners and bends. But I do it without damaging the car, and drive into what counts as rush hour traffic. In fact it is fine in the town, but I know all roads into two will be jammed.

Anyway, I arrive at the office to find the car park nearly full, and teams of technicians have arrived and have three days training. It is now a noisy and busy place, where just two weeks ago our portacabins were calm and quiet. Here begins the madness.

I take the spare office and begin working, dealing with the hot and not so hot issues.

There are fires to deal with, and less important issues too, but the morning rushes past and soon there are rolls and sandwiches to feast upon, and time for talking and even joking.

But then work rears its head again, and I am tied back to the computer for the rest of the day. At least time passes quickly.

By the time we leave the office, it has clouded over and a torrential downpour is falling, turning the late afternoon almost to night. I drive carefully cak, and once having parked the car look out the entrance at the rain falling so heavy it was like a fog. No way was I going far that evening.

I went back to the burger place, had a pork burger made with salt cured pork, and was darn good. I eat alone, read my magazine and make two bottle of strong beer vanish. It is quiet, a few tables are taken, moslty young couple whispering sweet nothings, I guess mainly about waffles, to each other.

Although low tide, the sea was roaring like a wounded monster, and there was the taste of salt in the air. There was also promise of more rain to come, so I beat a retreat to the hotel, picking up a bottle of silly strength beer from the reception.

There is more football on TV, Citey v Barca, and Barca serve up a lesson in football, winning 4-0. Wowzers.

No comments: