Thursday 6 October 2016

Wednesday 5th October 2016

I was woken at just before three in the morning by some drunken bums out on the landing outside my room, shouting whilst trying to whisper in the way that drunks do. I wait to see if they would go to their rooms, which they don't, so I go out to confront them, and they appologise and go quietly. I near no more all night. And I go back to sleep, but do oversleep to half seven. Meaning I would miss the first meeting of the day.

I call the office to explain, then after dressing go down to have breakfast, trying to find out which small packet contained butter rather than spreadable cheese I gave up after four packs and just pout Nutella on the rolls. At least there is no mistaking coffee, and the machine they had made a decent cup.

I get the car from the garage, and am liberated of €44 to free it. The company pays, but I still wince as I type the credit card details in the payment machine. And I now know the way to the office, round the rig road that arches around the harbour and station, under the railway then u alongside the tram tracks.

The Golden Hour in  Oostende There is a hive of activity inside, and so I join it, sitting at what is not quite my desk with my name on it, it is the quality office, and me being the quality manager means it is where I belong. One of my minions even brings me a coffee. He's not really a minion, he's an inspector, and without him and three others there would be no quality on the offshore phase.

The Golden Hour in  Oostende I tackle the issues of the day, then the new ones that come in. It is a frenetic day. Someone goes to the filling station for lunch, they do a good line in freshly filled rolls and hot snacks. I can see this is going to be a regular thing and not very healthy. But chicken and bacon roll (with crispy bacon) and a Coke fits the bill. And we don't eat at our desks, we go to the canteen and eat there, talking among ourselves and taking half an hour to do it. Just like it should do really.

The Golden Hour in  Oostende At four, people seem to be finishing work, so I join them in driving back to the hotel to unwind and have a shower.

I had decided that I would spend the early part of the evening, watching the sun set from the promenade. It looks warm outside, but with the wind in the north, once beside the beach is it downright chilly. People are wrapped up against the cold, but are still out in the warm golden light enjoying the sun setting in the west. A mist rises from the sea, making the scene even more picturesque. I take shots from all angles, before walking down the prom to an attractive looking covered walkway, which I think might come out well in my shots.

The Golden Arches Jesper calls me, he knows of my plans and asks where I was. So I go to join him outside the Kursaal, and after finding the rest were making their way to Den Artist, we walk that way too, as another round of BBQ food seems an ideal way to end the day.

I have what is described as a large rack of ribs. And it is well described as it hangs over the edge of the plate.

We walk back along near-deserted streets and bars back to our hotel/flats. It looks like summer with the neon lights still blazing and Europop pumping out of speakers, but people dressed like Eskimos are walking about.

Winter is coming, and I will be spending most of it here.

No comments: