Sunday 23 July 2017

Saturday 22nd July 2017

In a perfect world, I would have laid in bed for hours longer, but I am awake at half six, listening to Mulder meowing for breakfast. So, I get up go down to feed the cats, put make the first coffee of the day.

The main order of the day is to take the hire car back, but this being the first day of the school holidays, it is going to be manic down at the port, but get the car back first thing, or so I thought. A quick look at the traffic radar reveals that all roads to the port are already at a standstill, and the queue getting longer all the while. But we must try.

So, we take Reach Road out of the village, go along the cliffs, thinking we could have a look at Jubilee Way from the over ridge and see if the traffic is moving. People were out of their cars, looking down the hill to where the road curved out of sight. Jools went back home, I had said I would try along Townwall Street, maybe that was moving. But that was as bad, so I also turn round and go home. At eight I call Avis, and don't need to explain, they tell me get the car back when I can.

Back home we have breakfast, and wait to see what the day will bring. I check on the traffic, and watch as the queues spread outwards from the town. But after a couple of hours, things start to move, slowly at first, but by eleven, all roads are free, so we take the car back, I drive the Mercedes and Jools picks me up in our car. Nothing much to report about the trip, just lots of people sitting around, waiting for a departure, and cars in the new waiting lanes, waiting.

Jools arrives, takes me back home, and she goes back to painting the shed, whilst I prepare lunch, yet more cheesy beans on toast before I have to go out to meet a longtime Flickr friend.

We had arranged to meet in Hythe, he is undertaking visits to 100 English towns that he thinks are important architecturally, and Hythe is one of the kent ones. I wasn't sure what it was he wanted to see, but it would be good to catch up. Mark is the one who invited me to join a Flickr group that had the ambition to photograph every listed building in England, at least the Grade 1 and 2* ones anyway. I agreed to look after Kent, and that started me on the Kent church project. 300 or so churches later, and still going strong.

One hundred and ninety eight So I drive over, leaving at one not realising there was a food and drink festival on, and parking would be all but impossible. And the main road through the town was jammed, in both directions. I park behind where Jools works, and have to route march through the town, then up Church Hill, a steep footpath to the church, and coming in the other direction was Mark. Still looks like him, even with a beard.

He is on one of his flying visits, snapping mainly high streets, and had already been to Dover and Folkestone that day, and planned to go to Hastings after he left me. We look round the church, than I show him the old church hospital, now two flats called Centuries (don't ask me), then we amble up and down the High Street, visit the military canal. He had never heard of it, but then neither did I until I moved down here.

Invasion of the hollyhocks Finally, we go to a pub for a farewell beer. I persuade Mark to have a Bishop's Finger, it might be strong, but I wouldn't wish Masterbrew on anyone, not least a friend.

And like that he is gone, back to the car for a dash back to Hastings before returning to Wiltshire. I go home, and it being nearly four when I leave, I could reach the chippy for opening time, and would be home at quarter to five with dinner. And it worked out perfectly, the door had just been opened when I pull up, and the fish is already cooked, so I get the order, hop back in the car and rush home to find that Jools had abandoned the striped shed plan, and it was now all blue.

I make brews and butter bread, and in 5 minutes we are sitting down to eat, both of us shattered it has to be said, not enough sleep the night before. I watch the Tour highlights, just the time trial, not really exciting, but the shots of Marseille are fabulous, and the day ends with Chris Froome still in the yellow jersey.

I should have written a blog, but was too tired to do Friday justice, so we listen to the radio and eat Magnums whilst we watch a recording of Gardeners' World.

No comments: